mtbr member

degree angle of this stem? Advice on new stem *+ other bits

Hi guys,

Anyone know the degree angle of this stem? It's a "GIANT A3 aluminium ahead", it has a reach of 80mm, and a height of about 5cm (measured by placing a ruler in the middle of stack height, then a tape measure from ruler to middle of handlebar bole = that is the correct way to measure it right?).

I've never liked this stem, its ugly, and the angle looks ugly too. I've been thinking about getting a 'Thomson Elite X4 Stem (0' deg)', and buying a 30, 35, or 40mm riser handlebar, what you guys reckon? The current cockpit fits alright, so would like to maintain that.

Also does the reach of a stem change depending on its angle? So if I was to replace my current 80mm stem with a Thomson 80mm, would the latter's reach be shorter? What would I need to make that up a 90mm?

Lock-out:

I currently have this lock-out on my fork;

https://www.greyville.com/products/9...e#.UecADW0ueSo

Anyone know if I can replace it with this lock-out, looks like the same size and mechanism;

https://www.greyville.com/products/6552#.Ueb__20ueSp

Tyres:

I was thinking about replacing my 2.1 tyres with 'Continental Mountain King II 2.2' from eBay, but tonight I'm off the opinion I'll get a bit more out of my current tyres.

mtbr member
    Might be a 15 degree stem, going with a smaller raise angle will lower the bars but not shorten the stem lenght.

Going from ~15 to 0 is quite a change, you may find yourself leaning to much forward, borrow and try before you commit or a you say get a higher rise bar to compensate.