Thread: Dead Spot

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Dead Spot

Hello all!

A review in MBA of Maestro suspension mentions a "dead spot" in the middle of travel and the need for "special shock valving and specific sag set-up." The review also goes on to say that a platform dampner is also a potential solution... Can anyone elaborate on this? IE..what does this dead spot feel like? Is propedal a necesity or can the shock be run wide open?

Thanks in advance!

Tactical Nightmare
    Hmmmm, I'll be really curious to the replies here, as I haven't come across those comments. Any chance you can tell me what month/year this review is from of MBA? All reviews that I have read haven't mentioned any of this, so I'll be curious to check it out. I will soon be picking up my new '11 Anthem X 29er 2 and by no means will this give me buyers remorse, but I am curious about the comments. In fact, the reviews that I have seen or read mentioned that ProPedal wasn't even needed with the Maestro. Curious.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    MBA is not always the best source for your info. It can be an entertaining magazine, you just need to have your BS meter turned on while reading. As one of the largest Giant Maestro dealers in the country, I can say that I have never heard of or felt a dead spot.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Chachi
    June 2010, supension guide/maestro. Also, not trying to pick on Maestro, rather get some feedback from the Giant riders. In fact I'll probably be making the jump from Specialized (brain) to either Pivot or Giant--most likely the latter.
    Thanks

Tactical Nightmare
    Thanks, I'll check that article out. I haven't heard any of those traits with Maestro, and in fact I have read the opposite. As for what I understand, Maestro and Brain are similar in performance, but Pivot does build nice bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    MBA is not always the best source for your info. It can be an entertaining magazine, you just need to have your BS meter turned on while reading. As one of the largest Giant Maestro dealers in the country, I can say that I have never heard of or felt a dead spot.
    thank you for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delgjor View Post
    Hello all!

A review in MBA of Maestro suspension mentions a "dead spot" in the middle of travel and the need for "special shock valving and specific sag set-up." The review also goes on to say that a platform dampner is also a potential solution... Can anyone elaborate on this? IE..what does this dead spot feel like? Is propedal a necesity or can the shock be run wide open?

Thanks in advance!
    I don't agree with that review. Were they reviewing in relation to a certain bike in particular?

Never noticed a "dead spot". If anything, my bike feels like it has more travel than it actually does. One of the best things about the maestro is, it runs great with the shock wide open. I've been riding an Ax for 3 years, and I only use propedal on pavement, with the fork locked out. There's just no need to off road, IMO.

Tactical Nightmare
    I found that issue online, but only what you can preview, unless you want to buy it:
    Mountain Bike Action - June 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I found that issue online, but only what you can preview, unless you want to buy it:
    Mountain Bike Action - June 2010
    not sure if this is going to work...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    we all know where the dead spot is...its at MBA. I had a Reign, now an Anthem. If there is a dead spot, I can't tell. Great bikes and suspensions.Ride one and decide for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    the dead spot is probably the shock is wallowing in mid stroke. my reignX has this problem so i have to dial in a little bit more of low speed compression to combat this.

what i do not get is why giant like to pair the HV can on the reign/reignX, a standard one with high tune can solve most of the mid stroke wallowing.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Had my 2011 Anthem x29er for eight months now.

Bike rides like a dream with rear shock pressure set at 95% of riding weight and no pro-pedal.

Even on smooth tarmac or when climbing, I don't feel the need for pro-pedal.

Cannot say that I have ever experienced a dead spot in this bike's ride.

If anything, it often amazes me, how it 'feels' like you have more travel than only 4 inches.

After 20 years riding a 26 inch wheel hardtail, this bike allows me to ride faster and better with greater control.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Technically, there is no dead spot as Maestro has a linear spring curve. Saying that, the Glory flattens out at the end of its travel.

That means that what they felt is something to do with the shock, or it was imagined.

Please remember, just because someone writes for a magazine (or website) doesn't mean they are at the top echelons of experience and skills. I've been racing many disciplines for twenty years and I've never seen one on the podium...

... next to me

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ok...so only aoizip felt anything and he describes it as "wallowing." that's probably what mba was talking about.
    not a deal breaker in my opinion and i'll make sure to test ride one anyhow.
    thanks everyone for your responses!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2011 Trance with a Fox rp3. I have felt this so called "dead spot" but only when running the shock a little soft. I wouldn't call it a dead spot, but when you are around the middle of the travel it just isn't as lively or inspiring as it is when you are in the first or last quarters of the travel. It always feels like there is WAY more travel when landing smallish drops, and is pretty efficient through the first 1/4 of the travel. Custom tuning would make a great performing bike amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhuffman View Post
    I have a 2011 Trance with a Fox rp3. I have felt this so called "dead spot" but only when running the shock a little soft. I wouldn't call it a dead spot, but when you are around the middle of the travel it just isn't as lively or inspiring as it is when you are in the first or last quarters of the travel. It always feels like there is WAY more travel when landing smallish drops, and is pretty efficient through the first 1/4 of the travel. Custom tuning would make a great performing bike amazing.
    jhuffman--when you mention a "little soft" are you talking about propedal or psi?
    thanks

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    MBA is the least credible biking magazine out there- it really shouldn't be relied on for anything beyond the occasional nice photo or ads.

I've got a couple of Maestro bikes (short and long travel) and used to ride a Yeti single pivot. I can't feel any "dead spot" on Maestro. The long travel Maestro bike bounces around a lot when standing up to pedal, but that's to be expected of any 7" travel bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I meant when running it soft psi wise, The owners manual recommends quite a lot of sag. When setting up my bike I started running it how they recommended, then added air until it felt right, and I wasn't bottoming it out constantly. That was the only time I felt the rear sitting in the middle range of the travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhuffman View Post
    I meant when running it soft psi wise, The owners manual recommends quite a lot of sag. When setting up my bike I started running it how they recommended, then added air until it felt right, and I wasn't bottoming it out constantly. That was the only time I felt the rear sitting in the middle range of the travel.
    thanks huffman!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Another vote for: WTF is MBA talking about.

I also run the shock a bit higher than recommended. I just took my shock pump with me for the first few rides and played with it though out the ride until I found what I liked best.