mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Creaky AC -- Help!

Hi all,

I have an AC3...rear suspension really seems to 'creak' a lot when riding...anything I can lube up? Can I do any damage by lubing the rear linkage? Any tips, what lube to use, if any?? Or is the creaking caused by something else perhaps?

mtbr member
    Remove the seat post - clean inside the seat tube and the seat post. Put a very, very light amount of grease on the post and put it back in place.

Remove the seat - clean the rails and the seat clamp assembly. Put a light amount of grease on the rails and re-install the seat.

I rode and NRS and now ride an AC - this is fairly common with the way the seat post is shimmed.

As far as the pivots themselves - taking apart the rear suspension is not that big a deal either. Remove the bolts, bushings/bearings and give everything a good cleaning. Do NOT use degreaser on the sealed bearings. Give the bearings a spin with your fingers, they should feel fairly smooth. If they're "crunchy" you might consider replacing them.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Remove the seat post - clean inside the seat tube and the seat post. Put a very, very light amount of grease on the post and put it back in place.

Remove the seat - clean the rails and the seat clamp assembly. Put a light amount of grease on the rails and re-install the seat.

I rode and NRS and now ride an AC - this is fairly common with the way the seat post is shimmed.

As far as the pivots themselves - taking apart the rear suspension is not that big a deal either. Remove the bolts, bushings/bearings and give everything a good cleaning. Do NOT use degreaser on the sealed bearings. Give the bearings a spin with your fingers, they should feel fairly smooth. If they're "crunchy" you might consider replacing them.
    Thanks for the tips...it does make sense that that is where the creaking would come from...it didn't quite sound like it would be a noise coming from the rear linkage.

I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Worked!!

Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO

Greased the seatpost before my ride and it got rid of the creak I was looking to lose...thanks for the tip..