siv
    mtbr member

Crazy to want an XL Reign?

I feel cramped and over the bars on my large Prophet that has a 24.6 top tube. The Reign has a taller headtube but I need the XL which has a 25 top tube. Im 6 foot with a 35' inseam. Im pretty confident the XL is for me. My problem is seeing so many guys riding mediums at around the same height. Can personal preference go two sizes?

Flaccid Member
    WTF? Go out to a Giant dealer and test ride a Large and an XL. Then you'll have your answer. I'm guessing you can go with a Large and a 400mm seat tube for your 35" legs. Try it.

siv
    mtbr member
    I guess the point was to see if I was missing something from those who own mediums. Bike shops seldom carry XL, the L Reign 1 at my shop felt a little cramped to me as well, in the parking lot of course. A higher seatpost to me means the bike is too small. I dont want another bike that Im sitting on top of, I wanna be in it.

Flaccid Member
    You sit on top of it for the climb and full leg extension, you sit down in it for the downhill descent. The solution is as simple as one of two things, either a lift ticket or a Gravity Dropper seat post. Either will do the trick.

mtbr member
    I am actually 6ī and my inseam is 35, almost 36".
    I am on a Medium Reign X with a 60mm stem and a 12° bend bar. So the stem is effectively more like 50mm.
    I use a TITEC knock scoper telescopic seatpost. I leave the lower tube in the same position and just slide the upper part of the telescopic post up and down. So my frame is like a Medium Reign X with a 22" seatpost or something like that.

I feel good on the frame. Nice position, quite upright but not THAT upright. It climbs ok and feels very nice on the downhills.

Jumping is also fun.

I couldnīt ride a large for sure, would be too big and long for me. An XL is HUGE.
    Iīd definitely test ride, a too big frame for an aggressive bike sucks big time.

I came from an Large SX Trail and man that thing sucked for me.

Greetings Znarf