DTL
    mtbr member

Crank suggestions for 2008 Trance X1

I'm working on getting my hands on a 2008 Trance X1 and have seen quite a few of you guys switching from the race face cranksets to the shimano xt and slx. Any particular reason? Would I notice a differance with the xt or slx over the stocak race face dues xc?

bikegeekjames
    i've always had shifting issues with race face cranks. i worked at a shop for 5 years ans saw little improvement in this issue. XT would be an easy good choice. great weight for price/performance. I'm also a big fan of the fsa/gravity stuff. The afterburner is a good alternative to XT, if you want more options.
    hope this helps.
    Know a kid who 360'd a fully rigid, SS 29er on a DH course. Clipped in. He landed it. I will go cry in the corner now...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wasn't happy with the performance of the BB. I cracked the bearing/dust covers (or whatever they are called) twice in less than one season of riding. I was always pulling the BB apart to try and quiet it down.

I went to XTR over the winter (good deals at CRC), no riding time yet though. I don't think you could go wrong with XT though.

mtbr member
    Iíve always found the shifting to be fine on Race Face cranks, my 08 Evolveís shifted very well and the rings lasted much better than they used to. The problem with Race Face is the BB, they just donít last. If you do have a problem with the BB you can always use an aftermarket one like Hope or Chris King, I used an XT BB and havenít had any problems.

XTís are always a good choice but theyíve gone up by £105 in the last 6months so Iím fitting my new bike out with Truvativ Styloís.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I moved from Race Face to XT on my Reign, great crankset, easy set up and no more creaks

DTL
    mtbr member
    OK well should my deal go through I'll give the reace face cranks a shot. If they start to act up it's on to XT crankset and bb.