mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Couple of questions for GIANT REIGN owners

Hey guys, I have some questions about the Giant Reign '08:

- Can it be used for XC riding (2+ hrs), or is it a beast that's mostly suited for lift-operated action?

- How is the pedaling efficiency? Can you ride it UP the trail like an XC rig?

- Is a Reign 1 or 2 an overkill for just aggressive cross-country as well as with 2-3 foot drops to flat, stairs, etc?

(Trying to compare to a Trance X1 '08)

Thanks!!
    Last edited by TaskSwitcher; 07-08-2008 at 09:09 PM.

mtbr member
    might ask this in the Giant forum.

The regular Reign is geared toward XC as you appear to be looking for. It is the Reign X that is more downhill oriented.

If I was 100 pounds lighter, I would have had a tough time choosing between the Reign and my Heckler.
    2008 Heckler

I just let one RIP
    The Reign can definitely be used for long cross country rides. Although it can be used for lift access riding, the Reign X or Glory would be a better choice for that. I hit drops up to 8 feet on my Reign without issue.

Pedaling efficiency is great for such a long-legged bike. Maestro suspension is one of the best designs out there and works exteremely well. Bike is plush, but pedals great. It goes uphill well. (My 2005 stopped going uphill quite as well when I put a huge Fox 36 Vanilla on it--should have bought the Talas. But as it comes stock with a 140mm fork rather than a 160, it pedals just fine uphill. It still pedaled ok, but it took more fore-aft balancing to keep both wheels planted).

I wouldn't say the bike is necessarily overkill, though from your description, you could probably ride either the Reign or Trance X. The Reign can be ridden xc, but if you want to hit more gnarly terrain, the bike is capable!

I'm not sure why 1996cc felt like he would need to lose 100 pounds before choosing a Reign instead of a Heckler. The Reign is plenty strong to handle a larger rider, and it pedals better than the Heckler (though the Heckler is great bike, too!).
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

Slower But Faster
    The Reign is the perfect bike for the riding you describe. I have an '06 (with 36s) and do all the stuff you say you do on it, the '08s are ligther so an even better bet. My bike sees plenty of 4-5 hour riding days with plenty of climbing and is perfectly at home on 60km back country epics.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I use a Reign as my trailbike as does my son. I'm a bit puzzled by the "lose a 100 pounds" remark too as I was at 299lbs a year ago and am in the high 260's now with no negative issues.

To boot, I was in Helen's in Santa Monica several years ago (weighed 240lbs at the time) looking at Hecklers and there was a guy in the shop that claimed he was a Santa Cruz representative. He told me I was too heavy for a Heckler. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    TS-

As you had previously asked in your other thread, I will answer these specific Q's-

#1 Wouldn't be my first choice on a lift without a bigger front fork, I rode mine for 4 hours last Friday. My buddy rode it for 2 hours as well for his first time and wouldn't switch bikes back with me.

#2 efficiency is off of the charts, I routinely readjust the rubber o-ring to see if the suspesion is actually moving while I am riding. I do not routinely climb UP for more than 5 minutes. It wouldn't be my first choice for NON-technical climbs, nor last choice.

#3 is it overkill for 95% of my ride, yes. It doesn't bring it down as much as it brings up the rest of the 5%. The Trance X is a better bike in the 95%, but I like the extra travel front and back and it does get used. The Reign can everything that the Trance X can do, but the Trance X cannot do everything that the Reign can do.

My other ride is a two year old Yeti 575. I had a chance to ride them back to back on the trail this past weekend. The 575 felt like a long travel race bike compared to the Reign. The trail just plain disappears beneath you. If I was going to a place with tons of long climbs the Yeti would be my choice, but what goes up must come down and then the Reign is better suited. I worry about nothing hitting harder and harder trail features on the Reign vs the Yeti. It is a great bike to "grow" your skills into. My favorite part is when I climb up a slow creekbed and float over the branches / roots / rocks like they were never there.

Rob

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    It is a great bike to "grow" your skills into.
    Excellent summary of what a Reign is about. My riding has changed from being quite cross country oriented to true all mountain/lite freeride style and still the bike wants more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaskSwitcher

- Can it be used for XC riding (2+ hrs), or is it a beast that's mostly suited for lift-operated action?

I ride my '08 Reign 1 on 7 hour, 4000" vertical, Rocky Mountain death marches. Excellent all-day bike if your trails aren't baby smooth. It needs a bigger fork for chairlift days, but I climb to go down, so the Float 32 stays.

Climbs great up smooth singletrack. Climbs EXCELLENT up technical stuff. I never use the propedal lever or fork lockout. Not needed.

- Is a Reign 1 or 2 an overkill for just aggressive cross-country as well as with 2-3 foot drops to flat, stairs, etc?

Not overkill, perfect for rough cross country. Fast, light, durable, efficient.

I have a Reign, my wife has a Trance. Both are great. I would choose Reign if you ride rougher stuff, the Trance if you ride smoother terrain.

Thanks!!
    Good luck!

2 minutes turkish
    The Reign could be the best 'Only bike you need' available.
    some days I throw the big ring on there and a longer stem for the epic long rides. Most days i have a bash guard and a short stem for shuttle runs.

the bike climbs wells, loves to go fast and really behaves in the air.

mtbr member
    Welll I have won a cross country race with a 8 mile climb(Downieville), a super-d race we took the lift to the top(Deer Valley) and DH race (Downieville). All on the 2008 reign 0 with WTB wier wolf LT 2.55. It's my first choice of my bikes. If you choose to do some more down hill stuff just slap a fork with 160mm of travel on and your set. The maestro suspension works soooo well and I only use the propedal of im on a groomed climb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by natebyrom
    Welll I have won a cross country race with a 8 mile climb(Downieville), a super-d race we took the lift to the top(Deer Valley) and DH race (Downieville). All on the 2008 reign 0 with WTB wier wolf LT 2.55. It's my first choice of my bikes. If you choose to do some more down hill stuff just slap a fork with 160mm of travel on and your set. The maestro suspension works soooo well and I only use the propedal of im on a groomed climb.
    Congratulations on winning the race!!

Also thank you for the input on the bike.

Any given singletrack!

Thanks!!
    I have 07 reign and use it for everything from 100+ km (5+ hrs) pure road rides to AM riding. I have two stems and two sets of tires and switch batween them as I like.

65mm stem and 2,3 tires for trail riding, some drops, steps and general off road rides, and 100mm stem + 1,95 semislicks (WTB All Terainasaurus) for road rides. It is easy to maintain 30 km/h average speed on flat road with slicks, and it's still capable for general xc riding. With short stem/large tires it's ready for serious mountain abuse.

Here's a crappy mobile-phone pic with road tires and lowered fork (Marz Z.1 FR1 w/ETA). I think it doesn't even look that weird with skinny tires. If you can/want to have only one bike and use it for everything, this might be it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

this is the question he posed. past reigns were heavier and presumably tougher to handle heavier riders. i personally do not know what is the rider limit for 08 reigns. please indicate if you are referring to an '08 reign or some past model when leaving a comment so that we can have a more or less accurate picture. we cant describe an apple if were talking about oranges.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Have an 08 Reign and use it for XC racing, have a blast on it, have finished in the Top 10 for the two races I have competed in so far, climbs awesome, descends and is just a great bike that can also be used to thrash out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    guys, I returned my Trance X1 (08) to the shop and will exchange it for the Reign 1 (08). Thanks for your help and knowledge sharing Hopefully it won't be: too heavy; too hard to pedal; too soft b/c of the 6" of travel.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natebyrom
    Ya had to go by me, I was at the trip timer at the top of the 8 mile grind. Got any pics of you and the bike from the race? What class did you race in?

I'm seriously considering getting a new Reign

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by reynolds953
    this is the question he posed. past reigns were heavier and presumably tougher to handle heavier riders. i personally do not know what is the rider limit for 08 reigns. please indicate if you are referring to an '08 reign or some past model when leaving a comment so that we can have a more or less accurate picture. we cant describe an apple if were talking about oranges.
    08 Reigns may be lighter, but they are no less tough than the older models. In fact, they should be tougher. I've never heard of a rider weight limit on any of the Reigns. A heavy rider may have trouble with the wheels and need a beefier wheelset, but the frame will accommodate anyone.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Ya had to go by me, I was at the trip timer at the top of the 8 mile grind. Got any pics of you and the bike from the race? What class did you race in?

I'm seriously considering getting a new Reign
    Did you guys figure out if you were in the same race together??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a 05 and liked it so much I opted for the 08 at a huge weight saving with the same build. I also have a couple of friends in the 260lbs plus range that have broken many other bikes They are loving the reigns. The only weak part in the past was the tiny uppr rear triangle bearings failed a little too often. The 08 have a larger bearing in this area while all the 08 bearing are of much higher quality.

Tom

mtbr member
    My 2008 Reign 1 is awesome for everything, I've taken it on a couple epic xc rides (Seven Summits, Keystone Standard Basin,) and those are some seriously hard climbs and long rides. Then I took it to Sun Peaks for some DHing and my local freeride and DH trails.
    Finally this year I raced it in our Local Riverside State Park 24hr XC race and it rode superb. My Reign weighs in at 29lbs, I have it setup with dbl ring and E.13 bashring, and Avid Code 5 brakes. I love the bike even did some dual slalom on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    chaz-

Little bit of a hijack:

Why did you upgrade from the Strokers to Codes? I am feeling that I want to change pads or brakes after one month. I ride it mostly flatlandia type with small down secrtions of maybe 100 feet. It just doesn't stop like my Juicy 5's on my yeti even with the 7" front rotor.

I also felt that the evolve stem might be a weak link. You look like you went really short which I cannot really lose much TT length as the bike is short already.

Thanks-
    Rob

mtbr member
    I couldn't stand the Hayes Strokers, I've had bad experience with the nines and the El Caminos in the past but I thought I'd give em a try. After a month of riding I just didn't want to settle for ok performance. I had Avid Juicy 5s and they absolutely ruled, I ride some very steep terrain every so often and I just want the strongest, and most powerful braking possible, I hate squishy brakes (like the Hayes) I upgraded to the Avids and bigger rotors without much of a weight penalty.

The stem that came on mine was a bit weak so I got the Deity medium DH stem for me it feels great cause I bought a bigger bike then my last one so it evens out. I haven't had any problems on long flat xc rides, or climbing, but yeah if your bike is already small I'd get the RF Atlas AM Stem, its a good all around stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    hahah i went the exact opposite way. Strokers came on my glory, switched to my codes (already had them from another bike) sold the strokers to my friend, then a little later realized i LIKE having modulation, and if I can throw myself over the bars with one finger, the brake is more then strong enough for me. Touching the codes would send me lurching forward, so I sold the codes, and bought a new pair of strokers. If you feel like they're not strong enough for you (if you're over 230 they may not be, I'd probably want something stronger at that weight, anything below that it shouldn;t be too much trouble to throw yourself over the bars with one finger), you can try some metallic pads that make them alot stronger.

anyway, back OT