mtbr member

Correct headset for Giant NRS

I purchased a used Giant NRS on ebay and I need the correct headset. I'm somewhat confused by the difference between "integrated" and "internal". The fram came with aluminum inserts predded into the headtube that appear to hold a cartridge bearing. If I buty a new internal set ie: FSA orbit ZS, do I remove the current cups? Or, do I need a Cane Creek IS2?
    Thanks in advance

Chrome Toaster
    The NRS uses an INTERNAL headset. This is like a conventional headset but it has a low profile that dissappeares completely into the headtube unlike integrated where the individual bearing cartridge drops directly into the headtube. If I'm not mistaken those inserts you are describing convert the internal stype head tube into an integrated style one so you can use a IS-2/6/8 or equivalent integrated. I'd recommend you get the standard internal type since integrated is garbage and prone to problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    note that the carbon NRS/XtC framesets use integrated headsets. not sure what problems exist but i haven't heard of any Giant users complaining of any garbage.

as such, and as above, i believe the headset is otherwise the same except for the press-fit metal cups and top-cap (but bearings the same). you keep those cups in place, and simply replace the bearings and races, then use the existing top-cap (that sits immediately atop the top race). or some headsets will include all of this. that is, buy either an internal headset that includes the cups/bearings/races/top-cap or one with bearings/races (eg: integrated headset where the top-cap would be too narrow and no cups included).

overall specs i believe (so worth confirming) include:
    *headtube outer diameter 50mm
    *headtube inner diameter 44mm (that cup presses into)
    *bearing outer diameter 41.7mm (fits into cup)
    *1-1/8" steerer
    *36/45 degree ACB (angular contact bearing)

eg: FSA ZR or ZS (internal headsets which will include new cups and suitable top-piece)
    eg: FSA IS (integrated headset with suitable bearings, no cups, unsuitable top-piece)

best thing to do is take the frame into your lbs and have them at least testfit the headset then and there.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sorry for the double-post. dodgy, slow site at the time.
    Last edited by shiny_car; 03-27-2006 at 05:27 AM.
    [size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]