mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Converting P-TRX1 wheels fro XD to 10spd

I bought a set of Giant P-TRX1 wheels (DT Swiss 240s hubs rebranded) that came with the XD driver and 142x12 configuration. I don't have an 11spd setup so I'm converting it back to 10spd. I bought the 9/10 spd endcaps and a shimano/sram 9/10 spd freehub (DT Swiss calls these rotors). This is the freehub that I bought.

http://www.artscyclery.com/DT_Swiss_...DTS24FHBS.html

Putting it together was easy. XD endcaps came off, 11spd driver came off, moved the spring over to the new freehub (rotor) applied some DT Swiss special hub grease, slid the rotor on the axle and popped the new endcaps on (only the drive side is different between the XD and 9/10 spd).

I Put the tire on and clamped the wheel into my frame to check clearance (27.5 conversion) and noticed that the wheel wasn't spinning freely. I put the XD driver back on, clamped it into the frame and everything worked as expected. When I was comparing the 9/10 spd rotor with the XD driver, I noticed that the end of the drive side bearing is exposed on the XD driver but not the 9/10 spd rotor. See pic below. When the wheel is clamped into the dropouts with the 9/10 spd rotor, the endcap presses against the metal face covering the bearing, not allowing the wheel to spin. Is this the wrong rotor, do I have a defective rotor or is there some other explanation? I've contacted Art's Cyclery twice but they've yet to respond.

Any help would be really appreciated. I've been trying to get this conversion going for a couple of months now.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    I've made that conversion myself, a number of times on the same wheel as you have, but not run into the difficulty you describe.

Clearly, you understand that the drive side end cap for Shimano/10sp is specific to that driver and the end cap for XD is dedicated to that driver so is it possible you may have the left end cap on the right side and the right on the left?

B
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: Converting P-TRX1 wheels fro XD to 10spd

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Earl View Post
    I've made that conversion myself, a number of times on the same wheel as you have, but not run into the difficulty you describe.

Clearly, you understand that the drive side end cap for Shimano/10sp is specific to that driver and the end cap for XD is dedicated to that driver so is it possible you may have the left end cap on the right side and the right on the left?

B
    Hey Duke,

thanks for your reply. I can take pics of the endcaps tonight but I'm pretty confident they're not mixed up. t The exploded review below shows the end of the freehub wide open (bearing seal in red fully exposed. comparing this to the freehub that I have would suggest a different part number.

Can you please tell me the DT Swiss part number for the freehub you order for this conversion?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    JT, the DT number I used was HWYABX00S1239S and included the correct endcap. I would also suggest having Art's check with Giant, I would think they would carry these small parts, too.

Good luck!
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009