Thread: Conundrum

mtbr member

Conundrum

So, long story short. I busted the frame on my 2004 NRS and Giant has replaced it with an Anthem X 9'er frame. That's amazing. What is not so amazing is that now I need to build up the new bike. The parts from my NRS have either been sold off or won't work with the new frame anyway.

Now, I live in Alaska where it is winter most of the year, or at least it feels that way, and I've been riding my new Pugsley since the breaking of the NRS. My questions for y'all are:

1) What components would you recommend to build up this bike, with budget in mind?
    2) Would it make more sense to sell the frame and my Pugs and get a better fat bike as most of my riding really is on snow and ice?

Thanks for any insight you have. I loved my NRS and bombing the trails with it, but just don't know if I have the patience any more to build up a bike over the next year or so as I get the funds to buy parts.

mtbr member
    I would keep the Pug and sell the Anthem and with the money upgrade or replace the Pug eventually.

mtbr member
    What is the budget you have in mind for your build?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately looking at sub 1K spread out over the next year or so. Trying to buy a house and pay off student loans. And the wife isn't so keen on my owning two bikes, so...

mtbr member
    Ya, that'll make it tough. You could have that in a fork and wheels alone. One option may be to look for a closeout or someone selling a demo fleet of 29ers. You might be able to pick up a whole bike (probably hardtail) for that amount and just swap the parts over the AX29; though that doesn't help the "over the next year" problem. Plus, you'd still have to make sure whatever bike you get has a 100mm travel fork, and you'd still have to worry about compatibility of things like the bottom bracket, rear brake hose length (if hydraulics), front derailleur, head set, & seat post. You may be able to get a little money back from selling the donor frame. Other than that, it looks like selling the AX29 frame and keeping the Pugs may be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Any idea what I could get for the frame? It's a 2011 version without the shock.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    You should check out the hardtail 29ers on BikesDirect.com. This one looks like it would be perfect...X9 3x10 drivetrain, Elixir 3s, Rockshox Reba for about a grand (you can try and sell the hardtail frame for $100 or so): Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

A few things will be incompatible however, like the seatpost, bottom bracket, and the fork will need a 1.5" to 1 1/8" reducer crown race.

I see the Anthem 29er frames selling for about $750-$1000 (used, with a rear shock). I would say you can look at getting up to $800 for it since it's unused.

mtbr member
    Well, just found out the frame is a 26 (Thanks Mike!) so probably less interest for selling the frame itself. I might just have to build it up after all. Fortunately I still have a couple of 26 wheel sets around, so that will reduce the cost. I'll just need everything else.