mtbr member
    Dec 2007

New question here. Contemplating upgrading, but...

I have a couple of questions. Currently I own a 2008 Trance 2, and really like how it rides. I'd like to upgrade to an X1.

1. The frame looks identical on both bikes, except for the 5" suspension on the X1. So, I take it both frames weight about the same?
    2. Correct me if I'm wrong here, please. If both frames weight the same, would it be more practical (money wise) if I upgrade components on my Trance 2 instead of buying the X1? I'm not looking for the lightest bike around, but a good solid upgrade to an already good ride.

Any suggestions are welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    frames are different. the x is stronger/heavier, the regular is lighter/weaker. They have different amounts of travel and the geometry is different too. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about that extra inch though

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So, the X1 is definitely a good upgrade to the Trance 2?

Cycle Solutions
    no they are the same weight. X weighs something like 14 grams more. It is not any stronger either, not that it needs to be since it is still considered an XC bike. Do you feel like you need more travel than the regular Trance? Keep in mind more travel doesn't = better. You could just get a Trance 1 if you like the Trance so much already. Keep in mind there will be no regular Trance next year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hm, well, basically I was looking for either getting an upgraded bike or just upgrade components on my current bike. I'm trying to get some advice on which way to go.
    Yeah, from a 4.2 travel to 5 I don't think there will be much a difference, will it?

mtbr member
    You may notice some difference in the bikes but it's certainly not enough for the cost you'll be laying out. I'd much sooner find a good wheelset and maybe upgrade your brakes to hydraulics and your shifters and rear der. to X9. New/extra tires are always lots of fun as well.

For wheelsets, $500 should get you Hope Pro IIs bolted to ZTRs or DT 4.1s and you can probably find those FSA XC300s for less than $300 which would drop considerable rotating weight as well. Along with tires, wheels are the biggest performance gain you can make to your bike. Oh, and go tubeless so you can run 25psi!

MTB B'dos
    Got one question for ya .............. WHY??? It's an '08 and I don't think you've managed to wear out all those components yet Ride it till you wear out or break something, then upgrade that part OR if perhaps you find an excellent deal on a part that's way too good to pass up.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]There are aspects of both rides that are better but Id just upgrade the parts as you go cos neither is stronger, neither is lighter frame wise and having .8in less travel has benefits as well disadvantages and if there is no regular Trance for 09 then that will only make the Regular more sought after for people who want neither the Anthem of TX because of its in-between ride.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    The head angles are different as well, the X is much more slack. If you like the feel of the regular Trance, chances are you might not like the geometry of the X. +1 for wearing out the components and then upgrading. Maybe a new wheelset right away to get a immediate improvement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's what I was looking for. It seems, from what you guys are saying, that it's better if I just upgrade components for my Trance 2 - which it's what I was inclined to do, but just wanted to hear some opinions.

wants a taco
    ive ridden both bikes a good deal and actually own a trance "2". I just bought it for the frame though and swapped all my parts to the trance which makes it closer to what would be a trance 0. Looking at what came with the bike id swap out the poopy rear shock and fork for preferably a fox and then just replace things as you have problems after that. Ive got an rp23 and a fox talas on the way and i think its the best way to go if you want a bit more stability on those nasty downhills but still like the quicker handling of the trance at 100 mm.