Tactical Nightmare

Contact Switch - Saddle pivot issues? Remedies?

First off, I am loving my 2014 Trance 27.5 1! Amazing bike with trail slaying geometry that is smile-inducing all day long!

One issue so far though…..the seat post, Or the bolt tightening it. I know I have read that these have an issue, but never knew what it was and my searching didn’t find anything really helpful. So the issue I had was that my saddle popped/tilted upward (nose up) with me sitting down on it toward the back while riding. I loosened it, made the adjustment to get it back to where it was, and on the next descent, it happened again despite thinking had tightened it down enough. A couple of my buddies had heard about using a type of friction paste/grease that you could put in there to help prevent that from happening, but they also said that this issue is a design flaw with the Giant post.

Anyone have any links to threads on this, or tips/ideas/suggestions/remedies for this issue?

Thank you!! Otherwise, I love this bike and can’t get enough of riding it!

Giant Chachi
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Contact Switch - Saddle pivot issues? Remedies?

I had this happen on my 2014 trance x 29 dropper. I just tighten it up really tight and it fixed it. I was more of a tightening issue for me rather than it loosened off. You could try loctite blue on the screw if its loosening

Your Best Friend
    Do not put loctite on the screw, that isn't the problem but you could sure make it one. Giant seatposts are pretty stupid in how they hold the seat. It takes a ton of torque to get them tight enough not to slip. Just keep cranking down on the bolt. It will hold. You don't want any type of lube on the press fit clamps or it will only exacerbate the situation.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had the same problem I just put a small amount of silicone (any caulking) on the tapered cones leveled seat tightened it up and left it overnight. No more problems. The silicone (caulking) is very easy to remove if you want to change seat just loosen bolt push on seat and the silicone will break free.
    It was a very easy non permanent fix.
    Forgot to add remove any grease or oil from tapered cones before silicone or it won't stick,

mtbr member
    I'm having this problem, but my seat nose keeps moving down.

I was considering some blue loctite in there somewhere. I cranked the thing down with a socket wrench and it still moved. I'm afraid I will break the bolt or strip the head. Pretty crazy that it doesn't hold better.

Tactical Nightmare
    Hey objectuser, be careful though, I was told by my LBS to not use LockTite at all for this application. They offered up a Giant brand friction paste, and said they normally would put some in during the build-up in the shop, but mine didn't get any during the build. They said it typically does the trick with no further issues for this problem, but said it will feel weird tightening it down, as it sounds so gritty.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Chachi. I hadn't heard about that stuff.

Sounds like I need to visit my LBS and see what they have.

mtbr member
    I went to my LBS and they gave me some friction paste to try out. They said to use it on the bolt, which is not quite what I expected. Maybe one of us was confused at that point. Putting it on the parts that I don't want to move made more sense to me, but I put it on the bolt. They also said just using grease would help the bolt turn tighter. Finally, they told me my seat was pushed too far forward. I did have it just about as far as it would go because that top bar is long!

Anyway, will try out the combo.

The whole mechanism of the seat was something I had not seen before ... there were no teeth in there, just smooth parts using friction, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I used super glue on the tapered cone, but makesure you has the angle measured first before applying it. Then tighten it like usual. Slight knock on the clamp to break it free from the glue.

mtbr member
    Seems like if you can use super glue you could use loctite ... Good info.

Tactical Nightmare
    I'm one of those "right tool for the right job" kind of guy, and there is no way I'm super gluing anything on my bike like that. Seems like a recipe for ending up buying a new seat post anyways. Why glue when there is a substance at the bike shop that will take care of the issue, and it is even made by Giant. To each their own, but I feel bad for the bike getting super glued. Nothing like slathering on some super glue onto a $3000 bike.

mtbr member
    You're talking about the friction paste? You put that on the cone or the bolt?

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    You're talking about the friction paste? You put that on the cone or the bolt?
    Put it on the cone, and grease the threads on the bolt. Those are specific words from the guy that takes care of my ride at the local Giant shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The issue is at the design of the cone, not the bolt. The cone somehow doesnt grip against each other. if you compare to other seatpost, even a giant fixed post, they have some threading.

However, once I gave up on the post which the cartridge is getting sluggish, Reverb all the way.

mtbr member
    I'm going to add the paste and the grease this week.

I've done a bit of damage to the bolt by torquing it so hard. Is it easily replaceable?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have this issue where the bolt was overtighten when it first came. I sent back to supplier where they force remove it and replace me with an aftermarket ti bolt. (those you can buy at hardware shops;sizing is pretty standard).

Overall the whole seatpost has its flaws and bugs.

mtbr member
    For anyone that's interested, here's the friction paste I used (my LBS gave me an opened tube to try). It's pinkish red.

Name:  IMG_20140503_082213.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  64.5 KB

And here's where I put it (on each side). I just put a thread of it all the way around.

Name:  IMG_20140503_082320.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  18.8 KB

Haven't tried it yet but am about to.

mtbr member
    Two rides this weekend and it's holding. However, I can't say I've hit the climbs too hard this weekend. The seat/post still makes that squeaking/clicking noise though. Maybe I just need some grease on the rails or something ...

mtbr member
    I tried Niko's solution with the silicone caulk and I think it did the trick. I expect the friction paste would work too, but I only had the silicone in my work shop. I really love my 2014 Trance 27.5 1 and having a dropper post is a great feature, but I must say that using a friction mechanism to set the saddle angle on the post head is a pretty poor design (IMHO). It is nice and light and infinitely adjustable, but the saddle gets a lot of torque so it's not surprising that the clamp tends to slip. However, it's good to know that there are solutions out there!