mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Concern on frame size...XTC

I am a brand new rider. I walked into a LBS and basically told him what I was looking for and he reccommended the XTC 29er1....It was in my price range and had some pretty good components...I didn't want to buy anything that I would outgrow within a year...
    He only had a small XTC on the floor.....

I am 5'11" and have a 32 inch inseam...He ordered and reccommended a Large frame.....Looking at the charts here that would put me pretty close on the upper end of size...Also Giant reccommends 4 inches of inseam clearance for offroad and I am only looking at 2 inches....This is a pretty reputable local shop but.......being fairly new I don't want to discount the shops advice but the size charts and from reading posts here it kind of threw up a red flag for me...

Let me add that I am a 47 year old ex-motocross guy and will be riding local single trails with plenty of rocks and roots and some fast two track type of riding....

Thanks for any advice....
    Brian

mtbr member
    You are right on the fence. I ride a medium XTC and have the same inseam but am about a inch shorter. I rode both and went with the med but could have been just as happy on the large. Not sure if I answered your question. Enjoy the bike I love mine!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

XTC Frame Size

I'm the same height, inseam as you are and went with the medium which I've been riding for the part 18 months.

I went for a proper bike fit and ended up putting a 100mm stem on, upside down, and a setback seatpost, Thomson elite, to give me the position I want. The bike handles really well although I'm going to try out a large frame in a couple of weeks to see what that feels like.