My Brain Hurts!

clyde and maestro broken link

I am really concerned about the broken suspension links we have been reading about 4 over a year now. Should I be? I am really looking at the 27.5 Trance but am wondering if I should be considering the 27.5 Talon.

I am a big fan of keeping it simple and my Rincon has held up these 2 1/2 seasons but I am really considering full suspension. But not if I am going to be snapping link arms...I will however order a backup link arm when (if) I get a full suspension bike. I like to have parts ready to go. I don't want to be down for a month waiting for parts. I have a few key parts in my bike box for my current mountain and road bikes...
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 10-01-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    I've not heard of anyone breaking link arms on a trance, in particular, the link arms on the 27.5 Trance SX at my LBS are...well, beefy. If you break those, you're up to something, in my opinion. And that's coming from a guy whose Anthem frame broke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Failure rate is pretty low from what I've read. Seems like more broken anthem frames than anything else. I'm not sure if the suspension links are considered part of the frame warranty or not, if they are then I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

I'm 230lbs but I picked up an anthem x29er, not worried about it breaking and if it does I know giants warranty is superb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have owned two trance 's since 2006 and a 2012 i weigh 230 with gear and ride often and at times hard. and have had zero issues with the frame or links it has been very reliable.

My Brain Hurts!
    I have not heard a lot about issues with the Trance. But I have heard them. And to be fair, and I have said it before, of the 20 or so bikes (Trances, anthems and Reign X's) in total I know about, Giant has probably sold 10,000. Not a bad rate of durability.

I also have to preface that when (if) I go back to a Trance I will be riding in the 260 ballpark (rider and gear). This is why I was looking for opinions here... thanks!
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 10-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    After looking a little harder, I see a few instances. Looks like they're covering it under warranty though, so it shouldn't really be an issue if you encounter problems.

My Brain Hurts!
    I guess the real issue is do I want to leave my hartails... But, if I go Trance I will also get a spare Maestro link and replace the bolts and bearing in the suspension with aftermarket Titanium bolts and Enduro bearings. I am a big fan of both overkill and redundant systems...