mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cloud 9 vs. RS SID

I'm seriously considering trying out a new rear shock on my 03 NRS2. I don't have any issues with the stock SID other than the fact that I fear my continued riding with the shock bushing play/clunking problem may have wallowed out the shock mount eyelet. My LBS is in the process of replacing the bushings right now. I'll find out tomorrow if my SID is junk.

I've read some of the other posts and it sounds like the Cane Creek Cloud Nine is one of the favorite alternatives to the SID. What differences would I expect if I picked up a Cloud Nine? More or less BOB? More plush or more stiff? I'm weighing in at around 195 lbs these days....will the Cloud Nine handle the weight?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by plyers22
    I'm seriously considering trying out a new rear shock on my 03 NRS2. I don't have any issues with the stock SID other than the fact that I fear my continued riding with the shock bushing play/clunking problem may have wallowed out the shock mount eyelet. My LBS is in the process of replacing the bushings right now. I'll find out tomorrow if my SID is junk.

I've read some of the other posts and it sounds like the Cane Creek Cloud Nine is one of the favorite alternatives to the SID. What differences would I expect if I picked up a Cloud Nine? More or less BOB? More plush or more stiff? I'm weighing in at around 195 lbs these days....will the Cloud Nine handle the weight?
    Expect similar no-bob performance. The Cane Creek shock will definitely be more plush. Because it is air damped, don't be alarmed if you find a lot of compression and rebound damping is necessary to tune the ride.

The AD12 is more suitable than the Cloud Nine, although the two are very similar. The psuedo-lockout of the Cloud Nine is close to useless on the NRS. The AD12 requires an allen wrench to tune damping (the Cloud Nine uses finger-turnable knobbies) but it's "set 'n forget" so you're not losing much in that department. The Cloud Nine does offer a slightly better range of damping adjustment, but the AD12 is already very good in this department.

The big difference between the two is that the AD12 offers a three-position adjustable air chamber, so that if you find the shock bottoming too much, you can cause it to ramp up more by adjusting to a smaller chamber size, or vice-versa if you want a little more depth when you take a hit. It is very similar to the Fx AVA (not quite as easy to use). The Cloud Nine offers no choice in air chamber setting.