mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Clarification on Giant models?

Looking to upgrade to a higher end AM bike and some of Giants are catching my eye.

I was at Bicycle Warehouse the other day and they had a Reign 1 (black frame) but the build on it was a bit different than the Giant website shows. Pretty sure the fork was a 36 Float in white + I think the crank was different too. Seemed like an excellent bike for the money but when I came home and started doing my homework I'm not sure it's quite what I'm looking for. I'll have to head back in there and verify what it actually is.

I want an AM bike that is close to 30lbs, has lots of travel and is as bomb proof as possible for downhills.

It would seem to me from looking at Giants website that the Reign is actually a Trance frame in an AM build but falls a bit short (not trying to dog them) with the 32 float and 15mm axle up front and the Reign X is a more true to form AM bike with a completely different frame more travel front and rear and a solid build.

This brings up two questions:
    1. How durable is the Reign, is it a race able bike and will it stand up to moderately serious SoCal downhill abuse.
    2. How heavy is the Reign X and will it be miserable on climbs and long rides?

Thanks in advance for sound advice/answers.

Slower But Faster
    The Reign X in standard trim is closer to 35lbs with pedals but with Maestro they pedal uphill OK if you're fit. The standard Reign is pretty strong, you don't see many of them broken even when upgraded to a beefier fork like a 36. The geometry on the Reign is quite different to the Trance, the frames are not the same at all.

If you intend to race DH, you want to be on a Reign X as the geometry will be much friendlier when bombing downhill at speed.

mtbr member
    It does seem like you want the Reign X but the 09 Reign can be run with a 160mm fork which gives it the same headtube angle as the Reign X with 160mm fork. You can also add a longer stroke shock to the Reign to give it the same travel as the ReignX.
    But the Reign to me is more of a long travel trail bike. It can handle some tough stuff but the ReignX is more for the real aggressive rider. But the ReignX is going to be around 34-37lbs depending on build.

My current "AM" bike is 37lbs. FWIW. I ride it everywhere and up to 20+ miles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    the reign x is what your looking for. i have a reign x2 and my buddy has a reign x0 and the are great am bikes. we do alot of long distance riding to dh runs. my reign weights about 38 lbs and the x0 weights about 33. the big weight different is sue to the forks and rear shock. i pefer mine over the x0 cause i like the plush ride frm the coil rear shock.
    where do u live? if you close enough you can test ride my bike around for a bit

mtbr member
    Yes, I would effort towards the GRX models as they are extremey flexible and very DH friendly, if not close to perfect for agressive FRide/Light DH and you would be more then able to ride it anywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks all for the info. I think you guys hit it on the nose. Probably the Reign XO or X1 is what I'm looking for. Giant is doing a demo in San Diego like next weekend so I think I might go try one out.