mtbr member

Chris King Perdido on VT???

Cna't figure it out from ck's web site so here goes....will the chris king perdido headset work on giant's intergrated (actually internal) headset??? please help.....anyone using it???

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    From my understanding, to make it work yo have to mill out the headtube to the right size. Are you having problems with your current headset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Giant's use a zero stack, which I think is a different design. The two OEM Giant headsets I have used are holding up well...

mtbr member
    thanks for the info......i had an fsa orbit on my old AC that i had problems with. Whatever i was doing i just kept trashing fsa and canecreek zs headsets. Thats why i want the Chris King. King says that its Perdido headset is compatible with some zs designs. It all depends on the frame and company. Checking out the the zs dimensions and the ck dimensions, the ck seems to be shorter in depth than the zs design. Although neither fsa nor canecreek give all the dimensions as ck does.bascially, i just want to know if anyone has tried the Perdido headset on a giant, vt, ac, or other zs type headtube on a giant.

Trail rider and racer
    Although it appears you have come to the same conclusion the King Headset will not work with your Giant frame.

This discussion came up quite a good while ago and I think the consensus was that it will not work.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another soultion

If I am not mistaken, there is an adapter for taking ZS type headsets to regular headsets.
    It was back in 2001 when I bought mine when this was available. Not sure, but the Giant website may offer an answer.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Kind of OT but...

Does anybody here get really bad creaking from their headsets. I'm using a FSA currently..

I was also told it could be my forks between the steerer and the crown.

mtbr remember
    yeah, I don't know what you're doing to your zs-headsets to be trashing them, I haven't heard of many people doing this?? They are supposed to be somewhat stronger because of the larger diameter (well, FSA's aren't the highest quality), but who knows? As for the perdido, it will only work w/ ZS style if you can either purchase, or find a shop that has the special CK reaming tool (which I'm sure is very rare and overpriced), not to mention that reaming the headtube will effect the structural integrity, making the walls thinner/weaker. So you might have a bomb-proof headset when completed, but your frame will ovalize much too easy. Pick up a Cane-Creek ZS-6, they are very high quality, that's what I'm using, or did you trash one of these? Are you properly preloading the headset and tightening the stem down when installing??
    you know, now that I think about it, is there any bike out there that will fit a Perdido w/out modification? Kind of dumb of CK to decide to not conform to widely used standards, and make a product that requires soo much modification for use, then they go ahead and make a production hub w/ a 23mm thru-axle to fit just one fork, the Maverick, go figure!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    believe me i am surprised that i have been going through the zs headsets. I have warrantied 2 fsa orbit headsets through my lbs. I never tried the cane creek zs-6 though. They were all installed at my lbs and i know they did the right job. It is an interesting point about which frames the perdido will fit.... i think ck is getting alittle to involved with their ego to design a headet that they think the other companies will follow. Its to bad really. Maybe they should redesign the perdido to canecreeks standards since its quit popular now compared to 4yrs ago. (attn: ck hint hint) That way they could actually sell some of those purty colored headsets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Still on my first

I am using the original Cane Creek that came on my NRS 1 back in May of 2001. I have re-lubed it every year, but never have found the damage the magazines and others seem to come up with.
    The low end one "made for Cane Creek" on a friends bike unseated itself on the first ride. I disassembled it and after the rebuild was fine the rest of the year.

As for King Perdido. It reads that EVERY frame would need reamed.

The arguement about the ovalizing of the head tube seems biased. But I am not an engineer. Fit and what happens to the bike seem to be what would cause ovalization.

If the strength of the headtubes, and overall length to bearing races were equal: Would the leverage to the headtube be greater from the standard HS, or from larger diameter headtubes with a zero stack HS...or equal?

mtbr remember
    yeah, poorboy006, I feel the same way about CK getting ahead of themselves on this product.

The arguement about the ovalizing of the head tube seems biased. But I am not an engineer. Fit and what happens to the bike seem to be what would cause ovalization.
    you posted some good questions, but I don't think it is biased about ovalization, it's a fact that if you ream out a headtube (or anything), the walls will become thinner than they were engineered and manufactured to be, because reaming is essentially drilling out/removing material, making the headtube wall thickness thinner. Now, I'm sure not everybody would experience ovalization, but it would increase the chances of heavier/rougher riders, or those who ride more tech terrain, like you said, what happens to the bike would be a large factor. I'm not an engineer either (although I started to major in it), but here is an example, decide for yourself how relevant it is- would you ream out your seattube so you could fit a larger diamater seatpost into it?? It would just make the tube walls too thin than what it was engineered to handle, and much more prone to ovalization/other damage. This is an extreme example because a seatubes wall thickness is much less than a headtube, but still it gets the idea accross.
    as for the leverage between standard and ZS, I don't believe that would change, the larger diameter tubing of a ZS headtube is structurally stronger (depending on how it was manufactured too), but the leverage would depend more on the length of the fork, no? Like a Double crown would cause ovalization (more leverage) much faster than a SID for example. Alright, long explanation, hope it gets somebody thinking.
    Schralp it Heavy.