mtbr member
    May 2007

Choosing 1st FS ride

Looking for a new ride, and want FS this time. I am keen on Giant as this is what my LBS stocks, and I want to support them.

I can't decide which would suit me best from Anthem, Trance or Trance X

I ride 90% off road, XC style. I don't do jumps, but do ride occasional drops (nothing over one foot though). Many of the trails I ride are rocky with tree roots, and with frequent tight twisty sections. I weigh 65kg, and enter 2-3 endurance style races per year (I am not competetive, just enjoy participating). I get sore in the back and neck, and need a fairly upright ride position. I currently ride a mid-spec hardtail.

In summary I am looking for a bike to ride everywhere you could take a HT, but with more comfort for my aging back/neck.

I was thinking Trance X, but am a little concerned about the slack head angle in the tight trails. I suspect that Anthem suspension would be fine for me, except that I belive this would be a more racy ride position and firmer. Does this make the Trance the best compromise, or should I consider an Anthem with a short stem and riser bars?

My oportunity to test ride will be limited to pavement, which I don't think will really give me a clear idea of which suits me best.

Any advice welcome,
    Thanks in advance.

MTB B'dos
    Definitely Anthem or Trance and if your descriptions are accurate, more than likely Anthem - you won't have to throw as much cash at it to get it light and can run a 100mm fork to slacken the angles out a bit. You'll appreciate the lighter racier feel in those endurance events.