mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Chain Ring Clearance

Tried to put a 36 tooth ring on my XTC 2 and seen that I have about 4 mm of space between the tip of the teeth
    and the frame, is this enough space?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Your Best Friend

Re: Chain Ring Clearance

If it clears then yes, it's fine.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was wondering about frame flex and that 4mm not being enough, I am not sure how much ali flexes I know its not as much as my old cromo used to flex. I just dont want to gouge my frame when torquing hard on the pedals on a hill climb.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I was wondering about frame flex and that 4mm not being enough, I am not sure how much ali flexes I know its not as much as my old cromo used to flex. I just dont want to gouge my frame when torquing hard on the pedals on a hill climb.
    Hi,
    Came across the same issue myself this morning.I had what looked like 2mm clearance.I then was looking for all manner of washers to space it out another 2mm or so.In the end I came up with this.I made sure the 2mm washer was placed behind the pressfit cup on the driveside.I then took the o ring/seal out off the left hand crank arm and placed it on the axle of the r/h crank arm and then reassembled.Think this gives me around 5mm of clearance with 36 ring doesn't affect chainline massively and gave me the clearance I needed.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Thanx,
    Max.

May contain nuts
    Chainring flexing 4-5mm? Extrapolate that out to the end of the crank and you're looking at 10-12mm for a 36t ring radius of 75mm. You'd be smacking your cranks into the stays if you had that much flex.