DFMBA.org

Chain madness on my new Trance X 29.

I have blown up two chains within the first 150 miles of ownership on the subject bike, the latest being a SRAM 1051 yesterday. My lbs warrantied the first one (KMC 10) as the chain went out on the inaugural ride and told me that it came in too short from the factory. Neither time was I shifting under heavy load and this concerns me even more. I'm now wondering if the suspension + X9 clutch derailleur has anything to do with additional load on the drivetrain, causing this premature failure. Or it could be me unfamiliar with 2x10 and shifting at the wrong times, weakening the chain.

I'm also experiencing chain drop once or twice/ride which usually happens mid-shift and to the outside of the big ring. This is probably a derailleur adjustment, I'm hoping. Any thoughts here from the crowd?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I have dropped my chain to the inside on 2/5 rides. Annoying, but I'll assume for now that it is only an adjustment issue. Now I hate to worry you but here is another premature failure to watch for: The ratchet rings inside the DT Swiss hub on my brand new (week and a half old) TX 29er 0 FAILED yesterday, exactly one mile into my fifth ride (!). Symptom: zero pedal engagement. Cause: the teeth on Giant's lightweight ratchet rings are not tall enough to reliably engage. When they begin to wear a bit (a week and a half of light riding??) pedals don't engage at all. You can coast but you sure aren't pedaling or climbing. This could be dangerous if you "lose it" suddenly while mashing the pedals.

I spent some time at the shop today and my LBS is totally great about the repair. They called Giant and Giant admitted to "issues" with the ratchet rings. Bike mechanic pulled new rings from from a showroom TX29, a temporary fix. Assuming these ratchet rings will also soon fail, he ordered a set of heavy-duty replacement rings. They will make my rear wheel a little heavier but I'd rather be riding my bike than pushing it.

DFMBA.org
    Funny (not really), that's about the same amount I've dropped my chain to the inside too. It happened when I fast-shifted but not under load. The X1 has the Giant Tracker hubs and I don's think they have DT Swiss guts. In any event, that would be infuriating to me on a $4K bike but it sounds like Giant has acknowledged and is repairing. Is it weak material that's failing on the ratchet rings, or the fact that they're not machined to proper tolerances?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I don't know yet. If I find out I will get back to you. The rings are steel but engineered to ~1/3 the weight of the part in its normal configuration. Might be only the TX 0.

mtbr member
    I have a '13 TX29 0 and have not dropped the chain on the inside or outside once. If it matters, the tx29 0 is all XT. I have broken the original crappy KMC chain twice, in different places within the last 3 weeks, the second time happened yesterday. I replaced with an sram 1031 today and the bike rides and shifts great, I noticed a big improvement.

I ride pretty hard and some sections I ride locally require pretty drastic gear changes at times, often coming out out of tight twisty downhill and going up into uphill twisty steep stuff, so shifting fast uphill under load is normal.

But with that said, I just sold my '12 AX29 1, which (was a rad bike too!) came stock with a an sram chain. I rode it in the same style and had no problems at all other than an occasional chain drop on the outside front ring (could be front D adjustment needed). It was X7/X9 drivetrain. Never broke and help up well.

The KMC chain is maybe to light and doesn't hold up, try an sram 1031 or shimano or something. It's not the bike, it's the chain I think...

mtbr member
    Have been riding it hard and regularly for a couple months now and no issues with the ratchet rings or any other drivetrain components other than the KMC chain...

mtbr member
    Thanks, Ollie G and MTBing- I'm ordering a new chain.