Thread: Chain Lube...

Reviewer/Tester

Chain Lube...

I have been using a Moly-based motorcycle chain lube on my bikes for years, with pretty good results, except for the dirty look it left on the chain and sprockets.

As usual, I applied some to the chain on my nearly-new VT-2. It worked fine, but made the back of the bike pretty dirty looking, as the lube is a moly-based black evil looking stuff.

I had heard about Rock & Roll chain lube, and read the reviews about it, but couldn't find a store who sold it here in Oz.

However, I recently saw some at Phantom, ordered it, and it was delivered next day... [good service].

I run two chains, always have on my bikes. I have one clean and ready to go whilst I am using the other. I de-greased my spare, and soaked it in the Rock & Roll, dried it off as per the instructions, and fitted it to the VT-2.

I couldn't believe the difference !! This stuff is really as good as all the reports say it is. I actually had to look down at the chain a couple of times to reassure myself that the damn thing was still on the sprocket, it works so well.

It really quietens the chain, makes it shift like silk, and is totally clean. The chain looked so good on the bike, [like a new one] that I had to clean the cogs and chain rings to make them match the chain...

Now I have a much cleaner and nicer looking drivetrain that works so well, is quiet, silky smooth, and shifts like a hot knife through butter.

I'm convinced... This stuff really does.."Rock and Roll".......

R.

XC rider/racer

... and if we just ... Yes....

Its certainly excellent stuff.
    I`m using the Rock n Roll Extreme, and it really does a great job lubricating without attracting dirt and rubbish to the chain.
    Another bonus is how long a bottle of this stuff lasts.....it seems to go on forever
    Blackmans is stocking it here in Sydney now, as are Cycle Fantasy at Glenbrook.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Its certainly excellent stuff.
    I`m using the Rock n Roll Extreme, and it really does a great job lubricating without attracting dirt and rubbish to the chain.
    Another bonus is how long a bottle of this stuff lasts.....it seems to go on forever
    Blackmans is stocking it here in Sydney now, as are Cycle Fantasy at Glenbrook.
    Cheers
    Yeah, strange that it's not more readily available given how well it works. I finally managed to track some down last week and I've been wondering about how long it lasts. The instructions say to get your chain really wet - is squirting for one full revolution of the chain enough?

Reviewer/Tester
    I had my chain off the bike when I used the R&R, and just poured some in a plastic icecream container and soaked the chain in it for a couple of minutes..

As long as you get the chain really wet when it's on your bike, it should be fine, although I imagine that you would waste a bit doing it that way.

R.

XC rider/racer

Lube technique

Quote Originally Posted by WotFun
    Yeah, strange that it's not more readily available given how well it works. I finally managed to track some down last week and I've been wondering about how long it lasts. The instructions say to get your chain really wet - is squirting for one full revolution of the chain enough?
    Freewheel the chain backwards, as youre doing this squirt lube onto the chain as youre spinning the cranks, do this for around 3 to 5 seconds, make sure there`s plenty on, then try and wipe off as much as you can.
    I thought squirting it on for this amount of time would really use a bottle very quickly, but it just lasts & lasts.
    I think its only just become available in Australia. I hunted high & low mid last year to try and get some ....to no avail.
    Theres actually 3 different kinds I`ve seen
    R n R Gold
    R n R Extreme (what I`m using)
    And another one i`ve forgotten the name of
    Cheers