Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Chain guide solutions for Reign ( non X) 2012?

What have you all seen that plays nice with the press fit BB?
    Pics?
    Thanks!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Agreed. Installed one today on my 2010 Reign. Only did a test ride around the neighborhood but it seems to work great.

Take a look. I am running a 2 x 9 drivetrain and had previously removed a link. In the picture I have it in 1st gear on the back (34) and 2nd ring on the front (32), so the tension is as tight as it should get. I did cycle the suspension to verify enough room left on the chain to compensate for the suspension movement.

Will be able to give it a go tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain guide solutions for Reign ( non X) 2012?-p1040437.jpg  

Chain guide solutions for Reign ( non X) 2012?-reign-0-c-guide.jpg  

Last edited by rideitall; 05-15-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Pivot Bikes ISCG adapter + Dremel tool + Blackspire Stinger guide, and e.13 XCX upper guide has been working quite well on my Trance-X single ring setup. It's also very quiet, doesn't drop the chain.

Upper slider on the XCX has also been heavily Dremeled to work/play nicely with a bash ring. it isn't pretty, but it works very, very well. Just took a bit of doing to get the Pivot ISCG adapter to fit and give clearance for the lower linkage bits. The ID of the adapter was a tough smaller than the OD of the BB shell, and had to take some bits off the backside for the linkage.

Have run the same Pivot ISCG adapter with a Straitline guide, but actually found the Stinger/XCX setup to work better, since you can adjust the upper and lower bits independent of one another. The two piece setup with the Stinger roller ends up being quieter as well.

Don't see why you'd not be able to get a two ring guide to work as well, or just the Stinger in addition to a bash/front derailleur.
    Last edited by scrublover; 05-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    scrublover - the bottom bracket mounted Stinger could work on my 2010 Reign but the 2011 and newer have the press fit bb and from what I have read they will not work.

The reason I went with the C-Guide over the Stinger is more to control the chain slap rather than chain retention. The stinger being located so close to the crank will definitely reduce or eliminate dropping the chain off the crank on single or dual ring setups. I have run both the E13 DRS and Stingers on my FR bikes and have been quite happy them.

On my Reign I believe the Stinger would have helped with the chain drops but would not have done too much in terms of chain slap. The location where the C-Guide gets installed is close to the rear derailleur so it should do a better job of limiting chain movement over the rough chop.

One problem I had that showed up on two rides in a row occurred when running in 1st gear on the cassette while hitting bumps or smaller jumps. Even though my rear derailleur is setup correctly (top out and b-screw limiter), I would loose the chain over the back edge of the cassette into the wheel. Luckily no harm was down as I was able to stop immediately and fix it. After removing one link from the chain, on the one ride I had it was successful with no chain into spokes, but the chain slap was still quite prevalent.

So tonight, I will ride for the first time with the C-Guide and be able to report back on how helpful it is.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    you could always do a DIY chain guide with zip ties and nylon roller

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    scrublover - the bottom bracket mounted Stinger could work on my 2010 Reign but the 2011 and newer have the press fit bb and from what I have read they will not work.

The reason I went with the C-Guide over the Stinger is more to control the chain slap rather than chain retention. The stinger being located so close to the crank will definitely reduce or eliminate dropping the chain off the crank on single or dual ring setups. I have run both the E13 DRS and Stingers on my FR bikes and have been quite happy them.

On my Reign I believe the Stinger would have helped with the chain drops but would not have done too much in terms of chain slap. The location where the C-Guide gets installed is close to the rear derailleur so it should do a better job of limiting chain movement over the rough chop.

One problem I had that showed up on two rides in a row occurred when running in 1st gear on the cassette while hitting bumps or smaller jumps. Even though my rear derailleur is setup correctly (top out and b-screw limiter), I would loose the chain over the back edge of the cassette into the wheel. Luckily no harm was down as I was able to stop immediately and fix it. After removing one link from the chain, on the one ride I had it was successful with no chain into spokes, but the chain slap was still quite prevalent.

So tonight, I will ride for the first time with the C-Guide and be able to report back on how helpful it is.

Cheers.

Right, but Rideit is talking about another bike with a press fit BB, so BB mount won't work either. The C-guide could work, but if he wants something closer to a full guide, using something mounted off and ISCG adapter that clamps around the BB shell would work better.

Preferably not a guide with a taco though, as all the force from nailing the bash could very easily make the whole guide setup rotate or mess up the frame.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

fraid of heights
    Not as nice as other solutions, but for a quick fix to chain drop that is super cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    if im not mistake i believe that is the "zip tie" chain guide seen here
    ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to - Pinkbike Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozes View Post
    Sorry for the delay,guys,I've been out for the weekend

The chainguide was found at Pinkbike (it's good for something after all!),just follow the link posted by nyrangerfan222,it's very easy to build.

Here's a closer look:

Now for the shocking truth: IT WORKS!
    Weights next to nothing,and in my case,didnīt cost a cent. So what if it doesn't look good,it's a keeper!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.