mtbr member

chain guide for Reign2 2011..E13 DRS or Blackspire Stinger?

Hello...
    I want to put a chain guide on a 2011 Reign 2 ( not Reign X, so no ISCG tabs) ..
    by your experiences ,which chain guide will be less problematic to fit?...
    Blackspire Stinger BB mount
    -E Thirteen DRS 2011 BB mount
    Thanks a lot

p.s, I also thought to change the standard 32t SLX middle ring to the bigger 36t model.
    p.s2 . the E13 is a more expensive solution..but I would choose that if its going to be painless to set up..

mtbr member
    To be honest, I've tried both and the Bkackspire is by far a better, more cost effective solution and, as equally simple to install.

Triple ring though...?!
    Last edited by Sim2u; 05-27-2011 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    I should add that I have been using mine on the GR for quite some time now, as in a few years with zero issues. It's been used for cross country (although not completely suitable set-up of course), AM as well DH. Although the bike it's on is mainly used as an AM kit or for some light DH when some mates come to visit without their own rigs so it very versatile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    you canot mount a chain guide on a reign 2011 cause the bb is press fit

mtbr member
    Yeah mine is the older model. But you're right about the BB, they're press fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Krispy installed one of these on his custom 2011 Reign build. It is shown on page 3 of the forum "I have a 2011 reign 1, if anyone cares". I believe he had an opinion on how well it worked somewhere later on in this thread.

Edit- This chain guide was attached to the front derailleur mount, so it is a different type of guide then you were inquiring about.

As for the 36T chainring, that is a good idea. I dont know if you have the Dyna-sys cranks, but Shimano doesn't yet make a 36T ring that is "officially compatible" with these Dyna-sys cranks. The 32t middle ring on them is composite material and supposedly provides support to the cranks and it is not recommended to change out for another. But you are probably safe if you have regular SLX cranks.

mtbr member
    Krispies custom guide is an intereting solution, I think he's yet to give it more trail time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    With a press fit BB, can you not change the BB? I guess what i'm asking is, does the 2011 reign not even have the threads where the BB is installed?

May contain nuts
    No.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all..
    My friend gave up about his reign/chain guide setup due to the press fit problem you listed here..
    Shame that on a 150 full bike you cant even try to put a chain guide on..( for a dual ring setup).
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the new 2012 xtr derailleur has a tension lever that should help to keep the chain on better. not as good as a real chainguide but better than nothing. i plan on picking one up in july when they come out.

i was hoping the market would have a good solution out by now
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    btw, does anyone know if there is a dyna sys 34t ring? im spinning out the 32
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    btw, does anyone know if there is a dyna sys 34t ring? im spinning out the 32
    I dont thin they do yet.. from my previous post:
    Shimano doesn't yet make a 36T ring that is "officially compatible" with these Dyna-sys cranks. The 32t middle ring on them is composite material and supposedly provides support to the cranks and it is not recommended to change out for another.
    I have to go into the shop tomorrow to get my bike and I will ask store manager to call shimano again about the possibility of a 34t or 36t middle ring. Will update tomorrow night.

By the way Evan, I saw your bike in the other Reign thread and meant to comment. Sweeeeeet build!!!! I gotta get me a dropper post and new wheels after I shorten my stem.

I also like the look of that new dyna sys XTR "shadow plus" derailleur with the extra mech for maintaining chain tension in bouncy sections of the trail. It may be a good (albeit expensive at msrp of $250!!) alternative to a chain guide if you have problems dropping chains.