Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

Carbon NRS slipping seatpost problem!

Hello,

I have been riding a 2005 NRS Air Frame for the last 3months now, and after all this time, i have not found a solution to the slipping seatpost. I am now on a different seatpost, and still have the same problem. I have tried everything, including electrical tape around the seatpost and plumbers take. There is no grease in there.

Firstly, does anyone know what the reccomended tourque is for the seatpost binder bolt? I've just been using a tourque wrench, and everytime it slips, i got a little higher in tourque.

And secondly, is it normal for the carbon to change coluor (it's gone slightly lime colour), around the seatpost junction? There are no cracks, but it's worrying me a little.

Thank you.

bang
    have you tried applying chalk to the part of the seatpost that goes through the clamp?

mtbr member

I love this trick

I had the EXACT same problem...and here's what worked for me.

Use hairspray! Spray a little on the seatpost and some in the seat tube, just enough to coat the surface. Let it sit and air dry. I did this trick about a year or two ago and haven't had problems since!

Torque, I use the two finger rule. You only tighten it as much as you can using two fingers. And the discoloration, haven't seen it, but it might be residue from the stuff you've previously tried?
    .nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Hello,

I have been riding a 2005 NRS Air Frame for the last 3months now, and after all this time, i have not found a solution to the slipping seatpost. I am now on a different seatpost, and still have the same problem. I have tried everything, including electrical tape around the seatpost and plumbers take. There is no grease in there.

Firstly, does anyone know what the reccomended tourque is for the seatpost binder bolt? I've just been using a tourque wrench, and everytime it slips, i got a little higher in tourque.

And secondly, is it normal for the carbon to change coluor (it's gone slightly lime colour), around the seatpost junction? There are no cracks, but it's worrying me a little.

Thank you.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nathasm
    I had the EXACT same problem...and here's what worked for me.

Use hairspray! Spray a little on the seatpost and some in the seat tube, just enough to coat the surface. Let it sit and air dry. I did this trick about a year or two ago and haven't had problems since!

Torque, I use the two finger rule. You only tighten it as much as you can using two fingers. And the discoloration, haven't seen it, but it might be residue from the stuff you've previously tried?
    .nathan.
    No, the discolour is under the clear coat.. as if the carbon has been stressed.

I just checked the giant composites user manual, and it reccomends tightening the bolt to 8nm, so i will do that and see how it goes. If that fails, i will try the hair spray trick Do you spray it on, and let it sit BEFORE putting it back in the frame? Or do you spray it on, and let it dry/bond within the frame?

Thanks.

Cyco-dude - didn't have any chalk, but i did breifly try dust

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Cyco-dude - didn't have any chalk, but i did breifly try dust
    haha, that's not that same thing!