No Stranger to danger....

Carbon Fibre Down Tube Protectors, For Reign,Trance,Glory,Anthem, anybody use one?

Im just about to pull the trigger on a Down Tube custom carbon fibre rock guard from 'Rock Guardz'

Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

This looks like a great little company, has anybody ordered from them?

Ive got a 2012 Reign, and they have a very flat bottom on the down tube and the guard that this company makes looks great for the job, they are custom built to fit the Reign, Trance and Anthem.

After looking at them on their website im pretty much sold, they sell for UK 32 pounds or about $50 AUS, which i dont think is too bad..

So has anybody seen or got one or had dealing with this company?

Cheers nand have a great christmas and safe holidays...
    Last edited by Tone's; 12-20-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

DIY all the way
    I'd make one in Aramid.
    Carbon is not the material of choice for that application.

Magura

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    I'd make one in Aramid.
    Carbon is not the material of choice for that application.

Magura
    LOL Magura, stop throwing a spanner in the works

Id rather just order one, i dont have any Arimid lying around what ever the hell that is lol

Why do you say carbon fibre is not the material of choice for this application?
    They seen to have made a business out of it, they make them for a hell of a lot of different brands, and they look pretty sweet.

Are you just being objectionable for the sake of it Magura lol

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post

Id rather just order one, i dont have any Arimid lying around what ever the hell that is lol

They seen to have made a business out of it, they make them for a hell of a lot of different brands, and they look pretty sweet.

Cause Aramid (Kevlar if you buy the DuPont version), is what is needed for the application. Aramid is fairly common, so is epoxy, so unless you just can't be bothered to make one yourself, that's the way to go.

For this application, I'd guesstimate Aramid in the right config, would offer several times the protection of carbon.

Magura

banned
    Sep 2012

Carbon fiber shatters. Aramid is tougher when it comes to trauma. Try cutting a kevlar sheet with a pair of scissors and it becomes a tangled mess.

I guess they've made it a successful business because you'll have to keep replacing carbon protectors at a faster rate than kevlar ones.

Magura, you need a lesson on making crap parts so you get return customers.

-s

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Carbon fiber shatters. Aramid is tougher when it comes to trauma. Try cutting a kevlar sheet with a pair of scissors and it becomes a tangled mess.

I guess they've made it a successful business because you'll have to keep replacing carbon protectors at a faster rate than kevlar ones.

-s

Ive just read a few reviews from guys that have used and abused these guards and they are nothing but great, no talk of them shattering, isnt there different ways and methods that carbon fibre can we woven or put together, im willing to bet that these guys are not making a product that shatters on impact, they have been in business for a while and their products have good reviews.
    I agree with Magura that there might be better impact absorbing materials around but these look light and clean.
    Im leading to putting an order in for one and if it turns out to be a lemon i will have no hesitation reporting back here about it.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Ive just read a few reviews from guys that have used and abused these guards and they are nothing but great, no talk of them shattering, isnt there different ways and methods that carbon fibre can we woven or put together, im willing to bet that these guys are not making a product that shatters on impact, they have been in business for a while and their products have good reviews.
    I agree with Magura that there might be better impact absorbing materials around but these look light and clean.
    Im leading to putting an order in for one and if it turns out to be a lemon i will have no hesitation reporting back here about it.
    I was making a generalization of CF parts vs aramid parts. It's hard to shatter the downtube protectors because of the "backing" that it is protecting.

However, if you have a small strip of CF in your hands, try snapping one vs a Kevlar strip. (gloves and eye protection required). Makes a good illustration of the differences.

-S

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post

-s

See I try real hard to keep customers away, at least bike part customers

I'd have to agree though. Kevlar protectors would be a bad business model, as you'd only sell one.
    The only thing that could save it, would be that they don't fit when people replaces their bike.

The Kevlar - carbon layups I experimented with a while back, were extremely tough. I managed to break chips of the square edge concrete block I used for the test.

Maybe we should go in the bike composite business?

Magura

Sent from an airport in Denmark, with 10kg of really stinky cheese by my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    See I try real hard to keep customers away, at least bike part customers

I'd have to agree though. Kevlar protectors would be a bad business model, as you'd only sell one.
    The only thing that could save it, would be that they don't fit when people replaces their bike.

The Kevlar - carbon layups I experimented with a while back, were extremely tough. I managed to break chips of the square edge concrete block I used for the test.

Maybe we should go in the bike composite business?

Magura

Sent from an airport in Denmark, with 10kg of really stinky cheese by my side.
    LOL, What do you guys from Denmark know anyway ?

You only know about wooden clogs
    oh sorry thats the other place

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have one on my carbon trance, I wouldn't say the fitment is excellent, but its does stay put. By that, i mean it moves around a tad, no biggie. I tried to take it off to clean it at one stage and the side cracked a little so I left alone. It's strong but fragile. Once its on, leave it on I guess! But it does a great job in protection.

Had my time again, i think I'd simple wrap tyre tubing around the lower frame as an a alternative.

Old school BMXer
    I recently ordered one for my 2013 Glory. It took a couple weeks to make it here to the states. It's really a tight squeeze to get it to fit, but it sure won't fall off! I put some protective tape on the frame, otherwise, you'd trash the frame's finish trying to install the guard. I mean, I was really having to force that thing apart to get it on. It's pretty f'n strong. While I'm sure it will work to protect the frame to some extent, I think there's room for improvement in the design. It's not going to shatter, and anything that would cause that kind of damage would kill the frame, anyway.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    I have one on my X4 mate. Does the job as it has some chips in it now since the summer so I'd rather have that dented than the frame. Fits a treat and made to high standard

I got the same one as above in the mail a few weeks ago and im very impressed, it fits like a glove, is rock hard, well made and im going to go against a few of the doubters and say theres no way you could ding your downtube through one of these, its just too hard, its the best $39 ive spent on my reign, id suggest to anybody to buy one of these if your concerned about dings to you downtube, its a great design and im very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    I recently ordered one for my 2013 Glory. It took a couple weeks to make it here to the states. It's really a tight squeeze to get it to fit, but it sure won't fall off! I put some protective tape on the frame, otherwise, you'd trash the frame's finish trying to install the guard. I mean, I was really having to force that thing apart to get it on. It's pretty f'n strong. While I'm sure it will work to protect the frame to some extent, I think there's room for improvement in the design. It's not going to shatter, and anything that would cause that kind of damage would kill the frame, anyway.
    Yours might have been a bit of a tight fit, mine fit like a dream, nice and tight but easy to get on and off, no paint damage at all, no need for zip ties or anything to hold it on, no wonder this guy sells thousands a year, he makes a good product imo.
    Im looking forward to seeing how its holding up in a few years..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was going to get one but they don't make one for my XTC
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Your Best Friend
    Most bikes don't need something that beefy. For the XTC and Anthems I'd just recommend going with 3M tape, ie helicopter tape. Lizard skins also makes a tape in various colors that works well. I've used this kind of stuff for years on my carbon bikes and never had an issue. Plus you can put it anywhere and you get a ton of it for less than the other $39 piece.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    point taken but there is no BLING factor in clear tape LOL
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Most bikes don't need something that beefy. For the XTC and Anthems I'd just recommend going with 3M tape, ie helicopter tape. Lizard skins also makes a tape in various colors that works well. I've used this kind of stuff for years on my carbon bikes and never had an issue. Plus you can put it anywhere and you get a ton of it for less than the other $39 piece.
    I wouldnt call it beefy silentfoe, its only about1-2mm thick, its just very hard once its on, very light and looks nice and clean on a bike, i think its money well spent, but i understand where your coming from.

Quiet Professional
    Tone can you post pics on your reign? I am thinking of getting one for my 2011 reign 2.

Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Tone can you post pics on your reign? I am thinking of getting one for my 2011 reign 2.
    Mate, i would if i could but i use the girls computer and i dont think ive ever posted a pic, im pretty computer illiterate, but its pretty much the same as the one on the trance above but they have little rockguardz yellow logos on the side of them now.
    I have seen them on your white 2011 reign 2, they look slick and really professional and clean.
    The guy that makes them i have in the link in my original post is a top seller on ebay, he posts fast and has great feedback, so i recommend him for sure.
    There are some on reigns in the giant section on this forum, i think in the blog of 'show us your reign, if you buy one i think you will be very happy, cheers

Quiet Professional
    Thanks. It is on my list for upgrades i want to do.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is not the anthemX and the XTC use the same down tube size and shape?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Your Best Friend
    No, they are not the same shape, not even close.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides