mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Carbon Fiber NRS or Anthem?

I am going to be replacing my NRS2 that was stolen and the bike shop I am dealing with has a CF NRS with the XT/LX gruppo for about 1750 and I was considering that but i also like the new anthems. How much different is the Anthme from the old NRS? ANy help is appreciated

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    As a non-maestro owner / rider as of yet I can only speculate, but the Anthem has a much better suspension design then the old NRS.

From what I have read I would expect you would gain a lot more traction and bump responsiveness with the maestro platform. Sounds like a plusher ride, with the design tackling rider-induced feedback from another (stronger) perspective.

Final builds seem to be a little heavier then the old NRS (Not Really Suspension? ), although frame weight is supposedly lighter?

If I were you I would try and demo or get a ride on an Anthem before you make a decision.

There are a few threads with Maestro / Anthem content here that may be a worthwhile read.

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    I had the same delima before but now the Anthem is the next bike, though i tested NRS before and I must say no bob and climbs very nice.

I have been reading lots about the Anthem and recently read the cyclingnews review and I must say, without riding the bike, cyclingnews did reviewed the Anthem to what I tought it would be.

In the end though, its not about the bike its the rider, as long as you enjoy riding the bike of your dreams then thats all it matters ;-)

By-tha-way, I have Giant Trance 2 and I quite like it ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I own NRS3 (my own setup), but loking forward to buy carbon anthem, why?

1. Anthem frame is quite light (alu weigts 2.4kg)
    2. Suspension is antibob itself, like VPP etc.
    3. There will be a carbon Anthem avilable.
    4. Looks very good
    5. Giant is not to expensive

Still NRS feels very good. I could stay with NRS . its gona be weight/look change for me.

make mine fixed
    I am not a full carbon frame fan for mtb, especially when riding on rock. I've fallen off my T2 and put some good scrapes in the paint. I'm concerned about hitting a CF frame with rock and compromising its integrity. Giant CF doesn't seem to buy much in weight reduction and for a full suspension, doesn't buy much in ride improvement, imo.

Given that, the 1750 price is good. You already have NRS experience so you know and like the suspension.

I also suggest riding an Anthem before deciding. The anthem steering was twitchy at first, coming from a T2. After some more hours in the saddle, I really like its cornering and ride. I'm not in shape to push it hard yet but the A2 is faster than I am. Depending on how you ride and what you ride over, there may be very little difference between the two or there may be alot.

I forgot to add how you like the Fox over the Manitou may be the biggest point.
    Rigid keeps you one with the ground vertically. Fixed keeps you one with the ground horizontally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for all the responses. I will have to ride an Anthem before I decide but the fork will not be an issue since that will eb coming off as soon as I buy the bike and I will replace it with a 100mm fork which may alleviate some of the twitchines you experienced. On the NRS I ran a 105 mm fork and while it did slow down the sterring a little bit, it was definitely worth it. I will keep you all posted when I finally buy one. Now if that damn insurance money would come in

Quote Originally Posted by tpmbt
    I am not a full carbon frame fan for mtb, especially when riding on rock. I've fallen off my T2 and put some good scrapes in the paint. I'm concerned about hitting a CF frame with rock and compromising its integrity. Giant CF doesn't seem to buy much in weight reduction and for a full suspension, doesn't buy much in ride improvement, imo.

Given that, the 1750 price is good. You already have NRS experience so you know and like the suspension.

I also suggest riding an Anthem before deciding. The anthem steering was twitchy at first, coming from a T2. After some more hours in the saddle, I really like its cornering and ride. I'm not in shape to push it hard yet but the A2 is faster than I am. Depending on how you ride and what you ride over, there may be very little difference between the two or there may be alot.

I forgot to add how you like the Fox over the Manitou may be the biggest point.

Cycle Solutions
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmbt
    I am not a full carbon frame fan for mtb, especially when riding on rock. I've fallen off my T2 and put some good scrapes in the paint. I'm concerned about hitting a CF frame with rock and compromising its integrity.
    What do you think is going to happen to paper thin aluminum when you smash it off a rock? Giant bikes come with a cosmetic outer layer of carbon for added bling/protection. Giant claims that by switching to carbon for the NRS the frame lost a pound, I've yet to see solid proof of that but carbon paired with the new S-Type will make for one stinkin light 2007 Anthem........now we just have to wait and see if it goes carbon like everyone is saying ( just like I have to wait till the end of March for my Anthem 1, ohh the torture ).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    from all the reviews i've read, the Anthem rides as good if not better than the NRS. i ride an NRS, you've ridden an NRS - we all know how good a bike it is. if the Anthem is better... whoa!

i like the sound of some rear sag, which should improve rear traction and ride quality. also the plusher ride. plus the alu Anthem frameset is lighter than the carbon NRS!

IF the Anthem you're considering has at least the same quality componentry as the carbon NRS you've been offered (presumably at least XT/X.9 series and REBA/R7 forks) i would personally go the Anthem. and of course as long as there isn't a huge price difference.

.......although carbon is sooooo bling.

mind you, i have not ridden an Anthem, so my judgement is based purely on reviews and speculation.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]