mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Can someone help me please?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of MTB and I need help from you to choose my first bike. I'm gonna ride in beginner trails to start, maybe ride once or twice a week. I'm 5'10'' and about 150lbs (if that can help). I'm from around Montreal, Canada. I have around 800$ to 900$ to put on a bike.

The guy at my LBS suggest me the Giant Revel 29er 0, wich is 699$.
    I know the fork is not very good, I plan on ungrading it with a RockSox XC 30 TK (164$) or a RockShox XC TK Mg 29'' (150$). Then, upgrade some other parts as the time goes on and stuff breaks on it.

I'm also looking at the Giant Talon 29er 1 (879$) because there's a better fork that I might not change at the start and also the Giant Talon 29er 0 (1099$). I know the Talon 0 is more than the 900$ budget I have but I will have less upgrades to do so, at the end, it might be less expensive. They're all 2013 model.

Here's the spec:

Revel 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada
    Talon 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada
    Talon 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

What do you guys think of all this? Are those good choices? Wich one should I choose? Do you have any suggestions?

Around here the easiest bikes to find are Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Devinci.

Thank you for your help.

Owner Epic Biking
    If you can swing it, go for the Talon 29er 0. Between the much better fork, the Shimano brakes, and the 10 speed drive train I think the 0 is well worth the upgraded. Also being a 10 speed means if you want to upgrade shifters, derailleurs, etc. you can do it one piece at a time. With the 9 speed you would have to replace everything at the same time since you can't mix 9 speed and 10 speed components and have it work right.
    www.epicbiking.com
    I'll be riding a bike to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just stop right there.

If you plan to jump and land many times over, save your money. Buy a all mountain full suspension bike.

Do not jump out and buy. Fatal error many make.

1 complete and understand how to setup ur bodys geometry. This will dictate frame size.

Any bike under 2000 dollars will be a pos and you will either kick ur self or break it.
    Either way you will hate it in 6 months unless you listen carefully.

Bikes now days need alot of maintenance. If ur not willing to clean ur bike after each ride. I would use the money to invest in precious metals.

Seriously, so many friends of mine did the same thing as you are about to.

Only to get bummed out because the shot their l---- to soon.

Xc for trails
    All mountain for jumping a few feet off the ground
    DH for mega jumps, mega drops.

Cost for a good all mountain.
    1500 frame.
    600 for a group set
    600 for a wheel set.
    800 for good 140 mm forks.
    Another 300 for bars, stem, pedals.

This should land you a realy solid and study all mountain bike.

You have to understand, the entire low end of the market is trash. Dont waste ur money.
    save, do your homework and be smart about the entire process.

This way, when its done you will finaticly enjoy every second riding.

I find wide bars and a short stem a good combo.
    Fox float 34 29er
    hope or shimano wheels sets
    Shimano slx groupset is a nice sweet spot, very durable.

Dont buy anything carbon, cf is 1 season race gear. Know ur limits.

Good luck

Quiet Professional
    No not all bikes under 2k are pos. That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. One thing you could do is look into either used or new old stock. I picked up my Giant reign for around 1500 and you can find better deals out there. Using Santa Cruz as an example. you could pick up a heckler frame for around 500 new from them as they run specials. There are deals to be had out there but if possible save up a bit. Used is not always bad. Another thing is some bike shops offer a lay a way plan. The giant hard tails are not bad bikes at all, but I prefer full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    To try to help you, without depressing you - it doesn't sound like you're going to spend a lot of time in the air. That said, the Talon frame is pretty nice. My wife rides a Talon 0. The important thing to get RIGHT when you purchase a bike (besides the size....) is that you have a good frame, and a good fork. These are the two single most expensive items on a bike. Everything else you can upgrade a piece at a time with a controlled expense, the wheels are the only other thing that are really expensive.

So don't buy something and figure "I can upgrade the fork and other stuff as I need to." Buy something with the mindset that this frame and fork will last (again, I'm thinking Talon 0 here) and go from there. I'm not really familiar with what any of the other brands you mention offer, but I'll say this.

You can get a good bike for riding trails in the Talon 0 if you don't get too crazy on it. If you know you're going to get a little more crazy, start looking at the XTC - it's still a XC bike, but the frame is a little better built. Once you get to that price level, you can start to look at the Trance too, if XC bikes don't really suit you. The point is this:

While not all bikes under $2k are POS, don't cheap out "because you're just getting going" - buy the absolute best bike you can afford to, then if this whole biking thing doesn't suit you, at least you have something worth trying to sell to someone else so you can get a little return. But ultimately if you like it, then you've got a very nice foundation to start with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks guys for your answers.

I'm not gonna do jump, only trail so, I should stay with a Xc bikes, that's why I wanted the hardtail.
    Thank you mbteagle, I didn't know that.

Does anyone have any bike suggestion in that range of price or those are good choice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Another thing, is the Rock Shox XC30 w/Lockout, 100mm Travel fork on the Talon 0 is a good fork or should I change it if I buy this bike?

Your Best Friend
    The Talon 0 is a sweet bike with a ton of bang for your buck. If that is what you're interested in, go for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I agree with the talon 0 for you. I was refering to a good full suspension bike.
    Sound like a nice xc with a durable frame and fork.

My situation was simalar, but i ened up wanting to do some larger jumping, 3 to 6 foot range. I went with a full blown all mountain of diff parts. Im at 200 lbs so my build ended up on the heavy side but nothing has failed for 1.5 years so im glad i saved and spent exta.

Its all about what you ryding style is. Also where you live, and how old you are.
    Im 43 and love freestyle, xc, downhill. Most my friend have converted to road bikes but im a offroad guy. Anti traffic lol.

Good luck and get on out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks again everyone. I have another question. If I decide to put a little more $ and decide to go with a bike in the range of the Talon 0 (wich the specs are in the first post) would the GT Karakoram 1.0 29er (1150$) would be a better choice?

http://www.gtbicycles.com/2013/bikes.../karakoram-1-0

Your Best Friend
    Really? You're asking that? This is the Giant forum where we are allowed to be biased. Of course the Giant is better.

Quiet Professional
    I am pretty open but I love giant bicycles.

mtbr member
    Pepin, my lbs sells Giant and GT bikes, strangely enough. You will find the GT is a MUCH heavier bike than the Talon. I'd still take the Talon based on that alone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Doh! Sorry guys for this heresy, won't happen again... ;o)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a XTC 2 29er last spring and love it, handles great, quick steering and blasts through **** like no ones business. It was 1495 and lasted me all year. I did blow a ton of money this winter on upgrades but I kept the frame as I love the way it rides. I do all XC, to damn old to do 25 foot drops, I take to long to heal now LOL. The XTc is a solid bike and you would not regret purchasing it. But I have to agree on one point anything lower then the base 1500 bucks your not going to be happy with. I see they changed the rear deraileur on the 2013 for an XT where mine was a Deore and chain slap was very bad, I swaped it out for a SLX and it went away. Its all X9 now. I think Sram shifting is way better then Shimano but thats my personel view. Good luck in your purchase and no matter what you buy have fun and ride the **** out of it.
    This is what it looks like now
     photo DSCN0220_zps669ff1c6.jpg
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you can stretch for the XTC 29er 2 then you get a lighter bike and the Recon Silver fork. Because it has an air spring (I believe the silver is an air fork) you can adjust the fork just for you. The XC 30 is coil sprung with less adjustability.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2011 Revel 0 as my first bike. The fork(dart2)went bad within 7 months of minor jumps and aggressive riding. I wish I had bought something a little lighter but it works..somewhat. It has definitely survived a lot of abuse but I am about ready to invest into an anthem.

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 Revel 1 29er that was black friday price for sub 500. Replaced fork with RS Tora TK (275), bars (30), seatpost (40), pedals (50), brakes (50), cranks (120) etc. Point is you can use the same budget to shop correctly and find clearance prices, closeouts, or liquidations to build a very capable and lightweight bike for the budget you set. That might not be the route you want to take, I understand some folks are perfectly satisfied with products out of the box. I'm not the same.

Just my $0.02

As long as you take time to evaluate what you need versus what you want, along with what is within your budget and what feels comfortable under your ass then you made the correct decision.

Last tip: wherever you buy, make sure you build a relationship so as tuneups and replacements are needed the employees remember you and make sure to help you as a person rather than a statistic.

And YES: get the Giant and not the GT!