mtbr member

calling all Trance owners (yet again)

OK, you guys are going to kill me, but I can't make up my mind and I just don't want to have any regrets this, especially when I'm going to drop alot of hard earned money... Please bare with me

I think I'm going to just spend the extra money and get the T1. I've narrowed it down to an 18" frame. Now, for the hard part(s) - component changes:

1. do I keep the RF Deus XC X-Type cranks or install the XT HollowTech II cranks? Perhaps I can get the RF chainrings on the XT arms?

2. I don't want the Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset! No, I'm not insane, and I know they are the best wheels out there, but I DO NOT race and I don't exaclty have the most finesse on the trails. Sometimes (not too often but it happens to us all) I get lazy or I just don't pay attention, which can result in a wipeout of somekind... And from what I understand, you need to really take care of these wheels and give them good regular maintanence especially the hubs...???

So, I'm in need of a good wheelset. Tube or tubeless is fine. Remember, I DO NOT race! I've used Mavic 221, 223, 317, Sun Rhyno Lites, and currently Sun Single Tracks. I've had awesome experience with the Single Tracks - very sturdy and low maintanence! I want something like these again with XT hubs! And since its a T1, the bike is pretty light with the spec'd components as is...

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    The T1 is definitely the best choice but if you intend on changing the rims and crankset, it maybe a better bet to get the T2 with the RP3. I have the XT ht2 on my T1 frameset and they work great but is there a particular reason why you dont want the RF Deus. I had them and they are a rigid crankset and very light. As for rims I'd definetly keep the Crossmax Sl, but again, that would be one of the reasons why for buying a T1 in the first place. However, I read that the rear hubs need some maintainence. I personally went with XTR rims but a nice XT wheelset should be a consideration to if you really want to punish them.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    The T1 is definitely the best choice but if you intend on changing the rims and crankset, it maybe a better bet to get the T2 with the RP3. I have the XT ht2 on my T1 frameset and they work great but is there a particular reason why you dont want the RF Deus. I had them and they are a rigid crankset and very light. As for rims I'd definetly keep the Crossmax Sl, but again, that would be one of the reasons why for buying a T1 in the first place. However, I read that the rear hubs need some maintainence. I personally went with XTR rims but a nice XT wheelset should be a consideration to if you really want to punish them.
    I'd definitely have to agree with 1-bar here, go for the T2 instead if you're going to dump the Crossmax wheelset anyways it comes with the RP3 now. Only other "major" upgrade from the T2 to T1 is the fork - the REBA is an EXCELLENT fork so no worries there (the other components are just lighter stuff) So if you don't race the T2 should suite you better and you can get a custom wheelset built with all the cash you save. Only reason I could think of not getting a T2 is the colour :P

As for the cranks same question.. Why would you want to change them, the RF cranks are good? I changed out my crankset off my T3 since the RF Ride XC cranks aren't really up to snuff for someone doing 400+/- miles a month with some serious trails and hammering, but that the T3 the T2 and T1 come with much better external bearing type RF cranks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    i came across a great deal on a 2005 T1 and figured I could sell the wheels and make up some of the cost while getting all the lighter and flashier RF Deus XC components and the RP3 shock. I've read alot of reviews about the Mavic hubs (especially rear) and they seem to require alot more maintanence and care - which I just don't have the time and patience for. I know the XT hubs are basically set and forget - rock solid and low maintanence. Trust me, I know Mavic Crossmax wheels are the bomb...

From what you guys are saying, the RF Deus cranks are better than the XT HTII? I've read alot reviews regarding the lack of durability of the XT BB and rings... but they just look sweet as hell. I know the RF rings are second to none, which is why I'd probably leave the RF cranks on - just as stiff or stiffer than XT?

Thanks guys.

you see, this is why I have to post these things first before throwing down $$$.

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie
    i came across a great deal on a 2005 T1 and figured I could sell the wheels and make up some of the cost while getting all the lighter and flashier RF Deus XC components and the RP3 shock. I've read alot of reviews about the Mavic hubs (especially rear) and they seem to require alot more maintanence and care - which I just don't have the time and patience for. I know the XT hubs are basically set and forget - rock solid and low maintanence. Trust me, I know Mavic Crossmax wheels are the bomb...

From what you guys are saying, the RF Deus cranks are better than the XT HTII? I've read alot reviews regarding the lack of durability of the XT BB and rings... but they just look sweet as hell. I know the RF rings are second to none, which is why I'd probably leave the RF cranks on - just as stiff or stiffer than XT?

Thanks guys.

you see, this is why I have to post these things first before throwing down $$$.
    Crossmax are nice but they are not the end all be all of wheels. You can get a better set custom built for the same price or less in my opinion. I had these built and shipped for $480.00 They are as strong as the XL's and weight about the same as the SL's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What he said

I have a 2005 T1 that's basically stock. I'd keep the cranks, it wouldn't be worth the switch to XT. I'm not sure if the XT's are much stiffer, but I honestly doubt anyone could tell the differnece if they are. This is a full suspension bike with plenty of flex/give elsewhere. I would however change the chainline to 48mm from the 50 that the bike comes with. It's easy to do by pulling the crank arm (the RF is a self pulling type, so only an 8mm hex is needed) and swap the two 1mm washers from the driveside to the non drive side. I was having some chain skip issues before that (middle ring and 2nd or 3rd biggest cog), and that fixed it. The wheels are nice, but you could probably eBay them for some good money and buy a set of Rhino Lite / XT's that every place is selling. The Cross max wheels don't seem all that latterally stiff, but they are nice. There's a huge jump in price from the T2 to the T1, so if you aren't going to race it, you may want to stick with a T2. I'm guessing the parts spec is more durable on the T2. Neither bike is all that light when compared to some other Full Suspension rides. There are a lot of high end parts on the T1 and it is still kind of heavy. I can't say I notice the weight too much on the trail, mostly just when I'm carrying up stairs or something. I got a killer deal on the T1 (almost half off), so that's why I got it. If it was my hard-earned money paying retail prices, I would have gone with the T2.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    I would however change the chainline to 48mm from the 50 that the bike comes with. It's easy to do by pulling the crank arm (the RF is a self pulling type, so only an 8mm hex is needed) and swap the two 1mm washers from the driveside to the non drive side. I was having some chain skip issues before that (middle ring and 2nd or 3rd biggest cog), and that fixed it. T2.
    Thanks for remembering that I also changed my chainline with my XT cranks to actually 47.5 if you go by Shimano's standard of 2 spacers on drive-side = 50mm chainline. I took and put 2 spacers on the non-drive side and one on the drive side - I did sand down one of the spacers on the non-drive side 1.5mm so as to make the parts "meet" properly when installed. This also helps in keeping the non-drive side crank from then being to far over and feeling weird (to me at least).

Those wheels look something like what I'll be ordering as my next wheelset = HOPE XC Hubs, DT Swiss rims (in red too )
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    8 weeks till my Trance 2 arrives... can't wait! (errr, but I guess I'll have to). I argee with kdiddy- swap out your wheel set, but (unless you have the free flowing money) keep the RF cranks. When they wear out or possibly break down, you can always have them serviced or buy new ones. They're only about a couple of grams heavier than the XT's anyway.

This is a little off topic, but I haven't come across the term "chainline" before... could someone enlighten me on this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the x.c.
    8 weeks till my Trance 2 arrives... can't wait! (errr, but I guess I'll have to). I argee with kdiddy- swap out your wheel set, but (unless you have the free flowing money) keep the RF cranks. When they wear out or possibly break down, you can always have them serviced or buy new ones. They're only about a couple of grams heavier than the XT's anyway.

This is a little off topic, but I haven't come across the term "chainline" before... could someone enlighten me on this?

The line your chain makes typicaly in midle front midle rear cog on your bike, there are at least 2 47mm and 50mm maybe more iam no expert.

put losely bad or incorrect chinline will make a diference in your shifting especially at the xtreme ends of the gear ratios...you have to be carfull when chaiging bottom brackets and crank sets that you get the right one for you machine.

Members who have read this thread: 0