mtbr member

calling all Trance owners

can you guys please tell me what the steer tube length is for the stock forks on both the 18" and 20" frames? I'm trying to decide which size frame (5"10" w/ 32" inseam) would be a better fit as I already have back problems (old age and poor lifting starting to get the better of me). I would like to swap out the fork and install my Manitou Minute 1:00. The extra travel will alter handling a bit, but the 20" frame has an extra 0.9" longer headtube, so I'll lose a little bit of steer tube to put spacers on... Sounds complicated, but most veteran riders should understand what I'm getting at.

I will also probably get a shorter stem (110mm) to give me a little additional upright position. (will this help?)

mtbr member
    Which Trance model are you referring to?

I'm about to do a similar thing with my Trance 2 (on the way from the warehouse)... The extra inch of travel from my Vanilla's will probably slacken the HA by about 0.5-1.0 degree.

Don't know if this'll help but...
    When I had a look at the stem/head tube when trying out the bike (to see if my Fox would fit), The Trance 2 has 2 x 10 mm and 1 x 5 mm carbon spacers. I diddn't get to measure the Stem (a 0 degree rise EA50)- but to me it was around 110 mm long. However, I'm guessing you're from the US so you'll get a Race Face stem.

I'm going to also swap a Sette 7 90mm, 10 degree rise stem and my EC70 Carbon 1.25" riser bars. This will definitely make the riding position more upright than stock (stock handlebars are EA50 with 0.25" rise). Probably best to wait till you get your bike in your hands to see how if feels - or get your dealer to put on different stems when fitting/setting up. Personally- I'm used to the set up spec'd out above from a long time riding on my hard tail.

mtbr member
    you should note, that the toptube lenght on the Trance modells is really long. They also have a steep seattube angle.Compared to bikes with a slacker seattube angle your saddle has to move backwards to position your knee-joint over the pedalaxle.
    This all will move the cockpit quit far away to the front.
    Standover clearance is good due to the farme design.

My inseam is 33" (72,5'' tall) and i'm riding the 20'' Trance with a 100mm stem and flatbars.I like to ride more comfortable, my bar is 1cm below the saddle.

With your height / inseame normally the 18'' Trance should fit better.

MTB B'dos
    Wasn't going to answer since I ride a 22"/XL Trance, but after reading XC's reply I decided ZI'd try to give some advice help. Going on the fact that it seems all the Trance's come with the 25mm of spacers (2x10, 1x5) you can roughly estimate the steerer tube length using the geometry chart for the Trance (they are accurate for the HT, I measured mine and it's spot on).

According to the chart the HT on the 20" is 5.9", add the 25mm/1" of spacers and then all you need to know is the height of the stem clamp (which with the Easton stem is 40mm/1.5" (the Bontrager RaceLight stem I switched to is also 40mm) so you get a total height of somewhere around 8.4".

You will have to take into account the slight bit of headset (which is about another 3/8") so somewhere aroung 8.75" +/- 5mm. 18"/M HT is 5" so you can calculate that one for yourself.

I switched out my stem from the stock 120mm Easton stem to a Bontrager 100mm 7 degree (flipped upside down) and since I just serviced my REBA and took out the spacer and made the Ravel 115mm I dropped the stem 10mm to accomodate. Oh yeh I'm 6'2.5", 35" inseam. I find the bike was handling pefect for me Decends super, climbs super(before I adjust the travel, will now have to get accustomed to the extra travel/height). Hope some of this helps.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie
    can you guys please tell me what the steer tube length is for the stock forks on both the 18" and 20" frames? I'm trying to decide which size frame (5"10" w/ 32" inseam) would be a better fit as I already have back problems (old age and poor lifting starting to get the better of me). I would like to swap out the fork and install my Manitou Minute 1:00. The extra travel will alter handling a bit, but the 20" frame has an extra 0.9" longer headtube, so I'll lose a little bit of steer tube to put spacers on... Sounds complicated, but most veteran riders should understand what I'm getting at.

I will also probably get a shorter stem (110mm) to give me a little additional upright position. (will this help?)
    The steer tube length on my 20" Trance is 8.75". Remember that the additional head tube height on the larger frames brings the bars that much higher. I am 6'2" 34.5" inseam and the 20" still feels large sometimes, but I don't feel that I will go over the handlebars as easy. I think if I was 4 inches shorter I would want the 18", but I can only guess. Sometimes I want the 18" even now.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm going to get myself the 18" frame instead. Alot of what was being said made me re-evaluate the geometry a bit more... I guess I just got confused about the different frame offerings coming from an 18.5" VT and NRS. The 18" frame just looked a bit smaller to me, but that was probably due to the fact that the TT now has greater angle with the ST than the old NRS design and probably because the seatpost on my VT isn't as visible as much as the Trance. I actually like the new lower TT design as it gives more standover clearance - I just have to get used to it a bit more.

Thanks guys!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by macxcrm114
    The steer tube length on my 20" Trance is 8.75".
    Damn, did I do the math right or not LMAO

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

20" trance for me

I'm 5'11" with a 32" pants inseam and I choose the 20" frame. I rode an 18" Trance 3 and a 20" Trance 4 at a dealer and I definitely preferred the larger geometry. The smaller bike just felt too upright and cramped for me. I bought a Trance 1 and placed all of the headset spacers above the stem and it feels pretty good. I came from riding an XC oriented hardtail (schwinn homegrown) that was a 17" frame. The schwinn was always a little on the small side for me, but I was hesistant to jump up to a 20" Trance, but after riding for a while, I'm glad I chose the 20". The larger bike seems more stable on fast trails and I feel less likely to go OTB on the steeps. The longer wheelbase also places me more in between the wheels, where as on my old bike I was mostly above the rear wheel which made the front end a little light and harder to climb on. The only downside is that I have the seat post set below the highest markers on the post.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and went with the Medium. I think that we could go either way without penalty. IMO, the M is better suited for climbing and nimble tasks, while the L would be better for stability and downhill speed. Just my .02 Oh and since you are getting a Trance your not going to wrong eitherway because the bike just kicks ARSE

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Trance Stem question

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Wasn't going to answer since I ride a 22"/XL Trance, but after reading XC's reply I decided ZI'd try to give some advice help. Going on the fact that it seems all the Trance's come with the 25mm of spacers (2x10, 1x5) you can roughly estimate the steerer tube length using the geometry chart for the Trance (they are accurate for the HT, I measured mine and it's spot on).

According to the chart the HT on the 20" is 5.9", add the 25mm/1" of spacers and then all you need to know is the height of the stem clamp (which with the Easton stem is 40mm/1.5" (the Bontrager RaceLight stem I switched to is also 40mm) so you get a total height of somewhere around 8.4".

You will have to take into account the slight bit of headset (which is about another 3/8") so somewhere aroung 8.75" +/- 5mm. 18"/M HT is 5" so you can calculate that one for yourself.

I switched out my stem from the stock 120mm Easton stem to a Bontrager 100mm 7 degree (flipped upside down) and since I just serviced my REBA and took out the spacer and made the Ravel 115mm I dropped the stem 10mm to accomodate. Oh yeh I'm 6'2.5", 35" inseam. I find the bike was handling pefect for me Decends super, climbs super(before I adjust the travel, will now have to get accustomed to the extra travel/height). Hope some of this helps.
    Am planning to replace the Easton EA50 Stem on my Trance 3 (size 18) with a Thomson Elite stem. I wanted to get a shorter stem with and maybe increase the angle of the stem to raise the overall height of the handlebars. I took out the stem but I couldlnt find and legible marks to determine the measurements. I am guessing that the bar clamp diameter is 25.4mm or 1 inch, the steerer is 1 1/8" and the angle is 6 degrees??? Can someone confirm? I am basing this on the Easton website specs. Now I cant seem to figure out how the length is measured. This thread says the length is 120mm for the stem but this is for a size 22 Trance... ???

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by dcor
    Am planning to replace the Easton EA50 Stem on my Trance 3 (size 18) with a Thomson Elite stem. I wanted to get a shorter stem with and maybe increase the angle of the stem to raise the overall height of the handlebars. I took out the stem but I couldlnt find and legible marks to determine the measurements. I am guessing that the bar clamp diameter is 25.4mm or 1 inch, the steerer is 1 1/8" and the angle is 6 degrees??? Can someone confirm? I am basing this on the Easton website specs. Now I cant seem to figure out how the length is measured. This thread says the length is 120mm for the stem but this is for a size 22 Trance... ???
    Check the inside of the actual clamp area on the stem it will be clearly stamped angle and length. As for making the HB's higher I'm not sure I'd recomend that unless you have a bad back etc as it will help increase the fronts wanting to wheelie while climbing - unless of course you have a heck of a lot of seatpost out, and are doing this to compensate.

Members who have read this thread: 0