mtbr member
    Apr 2004

cable routing on VT

Hi all,
    I have been riding my stock 03 VT2 for about a month now. One thing which is starting to annoy me just a bit is the routing of the rear mech cable.

I have been doing a fair bit of jumping and more aggressive riding, and the rear deraileur cable is flaring out where it runs near the seat post. I am thinking about using a zip tie but I think there is supposed to be some slack in this area to allow for compression of the rear shock.

Has anyone else worked out a solution to this problem.

Brindi

shaved yeti
    You can do a couple of things:

1. put on an avid rollamajig
    2. trim 1/2" or so off
    3. zip tie it, but don't cinch down the zip tie. If you tighten the zip tie too much, you'll 'cause unwanted friction in the cable housing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

roller majik

thanks for the ideas. I understand points 2 and 3, but I don't understand how the rollermajic would help. where would it be installed? I have only ever seen them next to the rear deraileur...

mtbr member
    I did the zip tie thing and worked fine.

Reviewer/Tester
    I don't have that problem with the mech [shifter] cable, but do have it with the Hayes back brake cable.

I tried re-routing the cable a bit, but it doesn't help much, as you have to have some slack in the cable appear near the back linkages as the rear suspension gets compressed over jumps/bumps.

I'm still looking at the problem, but so far I havn't been able to resolve it completely.

I think that a free - running setup may be the solution, in that the cable is allowed to 'slide' up towards the hand controls as the rear shocks compresses downwards, so that the cable doesn't 'bow' outwards.

Gonna try this setup today, and see if it works.

R.
    Last edited by Rainman; 05-03-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Reviewer/Tester

Hmmmm...

Tried playing with the brake cable today..trying to get it from 'bowing' outwards when the suspension is compressed. Didn't really have much luck though.

The only way I could get it to work efficiently was to disconnect it from all the guides except the rearmost one near the disc, and have it hanging along the frame everywhere else. This worked well, but it was untidy and prone to slapping around.

If the cable guides were closed at the top like the mech guides, it would work well, as the rear mech guides allow the cable to slide backwards and forwards as the suspension works up and dowm, whereas the brake cable is 'held' in the brake guides with plastic inserts, and cant move very well at all.

Tried re-routing a bit as well, but it didn't work very well, and so I have put it all back to standard for a while so I can ride.

I figured that if I could close the top of the existing cable guides so the cable could work back and forth like the mech cable does, it would solve the problem nicely, if I removed the plastic inserts from the brake cable, allowing free movement.

R.

mtbr member
    Are those the factory lines or you installed them? Seems to me that the line is short, the brake line should make a small curve right under the seat and continue behind the linkages until it meets the guides at the chainstays. Is this the way you're routing them?

I'll take a pic of mine so you can compare.

mtbr member

Smile Promised Pics

Mech Side

Brake Side

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

zup ties it is

thanks for the ideas folks. Me thinks I will try a few zip ties cause that is a nice and easy first step. And I reckon the spot where Dirtdevil has put the ties, looks like a fair place.

Reviewer/Tester
    Thanks for the pics dirtdevil..

My cable runs are similiar to yours, but it appears that your cables are shorter than mine, so maybe that is the solution.

I will get the LBS to trim mine down.

Thanks,

R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Thanks for the pics dirtdevil..

My cable runs are similiar to yours, but it appears that your cables are shorter than mine, so maybe that is the solution.

I will get the LBS to trim mine down.

Thanks,

R.
    that reminds me to also look at the length of my cables.