mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cable mount not fastened to frame

Should I be concerned about this? I tried to wiggle it but it doesn't seem loose. Its not fastened down to the frame like the other side so thats why I'm worried. What are your thoughts? Should I bring it in to my local bike shop to fix it?

mtbr member
    I would. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What tool can fix it? It's round not like an allen key

mtbr member
    If worse comes to worse it could be epoxied on with a high grade epoxy and look as good as new
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is this a manufacture defect or when the bike store put together the bike? Hopefully there is another way to fix it than glue lol cause glue will come off

mtbr member
    Actually "glue" is very broad in scope. Modern epoxy adhesives(not hardware store junk) holds aircraft wings and carbon fiber bike wheels(thats what holds the fibers together) and even is the recommended way to fix car bodywork instead of welding. There is a chance it would be considered a defect, so I would definitely look to the shop but if they don't call it a defect I was just saying theres plenty of way to make it look good.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is there a way I can fix it myself or no? Maybe use a hammer and put it back in? Cause the screws there doesn't have anything I can use to screw it back in :S

Thanks for the help by the way

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    Is there a way I can fix it myself or no? Maybe use a hammer and put it back in? Cause the screws there doesn't have anything I can use to screw it back in :S

I wouldn't even come near my carbon fibre bike with a hammer...!
    Just bring it to the LBS, if you try to fix it yourself you could void the warranty! The two "bolts" which you see, aren't bolts, that are rivets. Rivets are only for a single use purpose only!

Perhaps the LBS can fix it with new rivets or glue them back on the frame with an epoxy adhesive. In the best case you perhaps can get a new frame if the LBS claimes the loose cablemount at Giant.

Keep us posted!

mtbr member
    That's a manufacturing issue. The rivets are not fully seated. The only thing that will fix that is a new frame. Take it to the shop, point it out, and see what they can do for you.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post

How much did you pay for that bike? And you are considering hitting it with a hammer On purpose Come on. Just take it in to a bike shop that sells Giant's (preferably the one you got it at) . My guess is Giant will end up covering this under their lifetime frame warranty. If you do anything to it you will likely void your warranty and end up with a worthless frame. Common sense.