mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Buying a Reign X1 from a bad store?

I finally found an available small 2008 reign x1 at a store and put a deposit on it. The name of the store is Sport Expert but depiste their name, the staff there are far from being knowledgeable when it comes to anything over the 400 $ bike. Since I can't find the bike anywhere in Montreal and the price is kind of good(2000$ plus taxes), I will buy the bike from there. The thing is that I fear that the bike might not be well tighten up when coming out of the store. Since its my first full suspension bike, outside the basics (drivetrain, handlebar, brakes) what should I verify? Pivots? Wheels? Suspension

Also, I will want to reduce the seat post by about an inch but I d like to know what's the minimum length you need to have in the seat tube when in extended mode?

squish is good
    If your worried about the build just check everything. It doesn't take too long to do a torque check on all the components. As for the seatpost it can depend on the brand but I try to leave at least four inches at a minimum in the seat tube at full extension. Most seat posts will have a minimum insertion line marked on them, just measure the distance between that and the bottom of the post and make sure you leave the same amount for after you cut it.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    I'm surprised Sports Experts has a nice bike like the Reign for sale.

It's not a bad store, they sell nice stuff, I just wonder how qualified their bike mechanics are.

If you're worried about the build, you could always buty it and bring it to a reputable shop to be checked out prior to riding it.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0