mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Burping Rear-'09 Trance X3

I just picked up a used 2009 Trance X3 last week and the first ride was great but…

I noticed a brief burping/rubbing noise coming from the back of the bike intermittently. Seemed to happen when:
    -at the bottom of the shock stroke or maybe when the shock was just starting to decompress.
    -on whoop-dee-do g-outs when the shock decompressed rapidly.
    It must have happened a dozen or more times during this 8 mile ride that included a lot of whoop-dees, but not much in the way of drops.

The rear shock is a Fox Float R, which the seller said was recently serviced (something about new nitrogen canister). I set it around 240psi, a couple of pounds above my weight. Sag and performance did not change noticeably during the 8 mile ride.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I recently picked up a used 08 trance with your float R. The shock made all kinds of noise, quacked like a duck & made a crack noise under hard compression. Ended up sending it to push & it came back better than new.
    Really is the best solution.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    PUSHing it would be nice, but I'm gonna ride it this way for at least a little while before doing that. It performed fine, just made the weird noise.

I'm also thinking of replacing it with something that has platform. Need to make that decision before getting it PUSH'd

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My RP2 is also making a quacking noise on compression, I've been told the air can is just needing some lubrication and a service, I'm going to send it to push shortly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    how much does that service cost?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All the costs are here

Push Industries - Home

You can also get the shocked "pushed" for not much extra which is supposed to improve performace.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i just picked up a x4 a few days ago and had the same sound. mine turned out to be the air valve backing out. I finaly figured it out once my shock no longer came back up. It was a quick fix for me maybe something to check befor sending it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    solar, thanks for the link. If I go that route, I'll consider hippietech too.

vacajar, what do you mean by, "the air valve backing out"? And, how did you fix it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was talking about the shrader valve in the shock. Somehow it started unscrewing from the shock body. I was able to unscrew the valve and put a few drops of blue locktight on it screw it back in set the air in the shock and all was good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    O.k., i get it. I'll take a look at that before my next ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Been awhile, but figured I’d update. I’m still not sure the cause, but it only happens when the rebound is set within a click or two of the fastest setting.

mtbr member
    Odd. I have been lucky enough to have great luck on all but one Fox product which was replaced. The seals in new forks would blow as soon as your body weight would compress them.

What have you decided to do? I hate little noises like that.
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I agree, I like to understand all those sorts of noises because sometimes they are a symptom of problems to come.

for now i'm running my shock at 4 clicks from full-fast rebound. This essentially eliminates the noise, hear it maybe once a ride, and the ride quality is great. Not sure I really need full-fast, it ended up there by mistake on my first few rides.

At some point I might send the shock off to Hippie-Tech or Push for a rebuild. I'd sort of like to get a bumper put in to prevent harsh bottoming. I don't huck, but at 235lbs even medium size drops have me blowing through the travel. Plus I occasionnaly find a little oil at the schrader valve when adjusting air pressure. Plus the clicks on the rebound dial are not that crisp. The shock is a couple of years old, and well used.