Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Broken seat post clamp bolt!!!!!!!!!

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mappable 
#1 · (Edited)
Broken saddle clamp bolt!!!!!!!!!

In November, 2003, I purchased a 04 Giant NRS1, equipped with a Easton AE 50 seat post.

In general, I love the bike, but in March 2004 I was descending a "routine" hill and coming out of a turn, after standing up to pedal, I went to sit back on the seat and immediately heard a "snap". The seat came off of the bike causing me to fall to the ground. Apparently, the saddle clamp bolt broke.

Has anyone else experienced problems with the saddle clamp bolt?

#2 ·
Hard to tell which bolt you're talking about. A seatpost clamp is what holds the post in the frame. Some are quick release and others are just bolts.The saddle clamps are what hold the saddle to the post. Some are single bolt deals with a toothed clamp ratchet like most Ritchey seaposts, or double bolt mechanism (the best) like Thompson seatposts.

Personally, I have only had Thompson posts on my bikes, never have I had a failure, and the seat position does not move.

#3 ·
saddle clamp bolt

John said:
Hard to tell which bolt you're talking about. A seatpost clamp is what holds the post in the frame. Some are quick release and others are just bolts.The saddle clamps are what hold the saddle to the post. Some are single bolt deals with a toothed clamp ratchet like most Ritchey seaposts, or double bolt mechanism (the best) like Thompson seatposts.

Personally, I have only had Thompson posts on my bikes, never have I had a failure, and the seat position does not move.
Yes it would be the saddle clamp bolt. The clamp that wraps around the rails of the saddle. The bolt that goes through the clamp sheared in half.

#4 ·
My riding bud had this happen to him last June. He brought his bike to a ride, with parts for two different posts, thinking he could make a good one from the two busted/worn seatposts. But no luck. The broken bolt was a strange metric bolt, M6 threades, but it had a shaped head so it could pivot. We drove to the bike shop, which just happened to be opening up, and he got a Ritchey post for $25. The shop does not carry spare bolts. The Ritchey posts are pretty cheap online. I recommend the Thompson post though. It will last forever.

#5 ·
i had a giant xtc 2002 with a titec single bolt post that sheared off during a decent. the post then punched me as hard as i've ever been hit in the nuts. had to ride a few miles back standing up. titec warrantied the oem post and sent me a new one, no questions asked thanks to a heads up i found in the review section. no problems w/the replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.