Thread: Broken frame

mtbr member

Broken frame

Just broke the seat tube on my '06 Yukon. Any idea what to expect on warranty replacement?

Thanks in advance for advice.

-Steve

Cycle Solutions
    Giant has lifetime warranty on all their frames. Take it to your LBS and they'll get you a new one from Giant. There is a chance it could cost you some money for your shop to swap the parts over so don't assume that part will be free. It could also take a couple weeks. Just a heads up.

May contain nuts
    Lifetime doesn't mean your lifetime; it's whatever period the manufacturer deems the product is expected to last. Fairly arbitrary...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ^ what? no it doesnt. lifetime means until you die you have a bike warranty.. from giant directly,

Giant Bicycle, Inc. (“Giant”) warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand
    bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship
    for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle

May contain nuts
    Yes, but they exclude normal wear & tear. This is where they have an out.

banned
    I guess the OP didn't try and contact Giant, the party that actually determines the outcome, first.

...and "lifetime" is usually limited, though some companies are very generous in following the interpretation of the customers. Customers interpret "lifetime" as everything. The manufacturer interprets this as manufacturing defects, the majority of which will manifest in about 2 years or so, and then anything after that is generally simple use and achieving the fatigue life of lightweight, performance based alloys and profiles, and/or use outside intended design parameters.

In short, people should be contacting the manufacturer, not mtbr who does nothing to help the process.

Cycle Solutions
    Fatigue or not the bike is covered until the original owner dies. The warranty is void once the original owner no longer owns the frame. It's not covered if you mangle it from the chain, pour acid on it, or try and strip it and repaint it, something like that.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    Fatigue or not the bike is covered until the original owner dies. The warranty is void once the original owner no longer owns the frame. It's not covered if you mangle it from the chain, pour acid on it, or try and strip it and repaint it, something like that.
    Is the current warranty still lifetime? Some years ago, they swapped from a "lifetime" to five years, though it could have been changed.

However, fatigue over the course of a "lifetime" has been debated, as it has been interpreted by customers different from how it was intended, and manufacturers use it as goodwill to make swaps.

I'm 100% doubting that 10-15 years down the road Giant will cover a frame, as it's well exceeded its life expectancy at that point. Even some of the other guys, in some cases, will offer some crash discounts at that point.

Giant is generous, no doubt, but you're fooling yourself about the warranty terms.

Cycle Solutions
    Yeah I'm not sure exactly what would go down for a discontinued bike. Probably a replacement of equal value or option to pay a small amount for an upgraded frame. Giant is lifetime though and they are very good at honoring it and coming up with reasonable solutions.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Hi there,

Any chance of some pictures of the damage? I own a '05 Yukon btw.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Is the current warranty still lifetime? Some years ago, they swapped from a "lifetime" to five years, though it could have been changed.
    Giant currently does offer a lifetime warranty; it was 5 years for a while, I guess, but they returned to lifetime in 2004 or 2005. It's definitely lifetime now. As far as I know, Giant does intend the warranty for the life of the owner...but do remember, warranty is for manufacturing defects. It is possible to state that if it broke many years down the road that Giant would say that it had fatigued, which is not a manufacturing defect. But as big as Giant is, and as nice as they are about warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if they still replaced it even then.

That said, if the OP's Yukon broke from a manufacturing defect, he will receive a new frame in a week or two after taking it to his LBS. Unless the LBS voluntarily eats the labor, the OP will have to the shop to swap the parts over (or, if you know what you are doing, I suppose you can take just the frame to the shop and get the new one and do the labor yourself--I know the initial build must be by the shop for warranties to be valid, but not certain on the build of a warrantied frame).

However, if the OP wrapped the bike around a tree and caused it to break, that is not a manufacturing defect and the frame will not be replaced (I don't immediately recall if Giant offers a crash replacement discount).
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member

Thanks

Don't have a good way to attach pictures at the moment.

Talked to dealer today - strip the frame down, send off, likely get replacement in a few weeks.

Problem is with an '06 Yukon frame. Seat tube cracked just above the top weld. No abuse.

Shucks! Had this thing just under 2 years an got it dialed in. Prime riding season here in the Southeast. Not only will I need to rebuild this thing, but will have to spend $$ on shipping, replacement parts (not quite worn out, but no sense putting worn out OEM junk on a new frame!)

BB7's, Speed dial 7 levers, S-3 headset, Sram Attack Shifters, Cable sets . . . might as well service the Tora, too . . . Price Point may see some stimulus money this week.

I'll keep the thread updated along the way.

Thanks for the advice.

-Steve

mtbr member
    Received the replacement frame today. Was not sure what I would get. Turns out to be the exact frame.

8 days and no real hassle other than going through the motions. Only cost was from the local shop to swap the head set, bottom bracket & derailleur. Maybe a shipping charge in there somewhere. $25.00.

Kudos to Giant for getting this resolved!

Thanks to all that offered advice!

-Steve

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Glad to hear you got an affordable hassle free replacement.

To others- I believe Giant only offers 5 year replacement on the Anthem frame series.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Broke my AC frame last year and found out Giant only has a 5 year warranty on those aluminum frames. It was in the owners manual. My AC was 6 years old at the time and Giant would only offer shop price on a new ReignX frame.
    My LBS hooked me up with a new Reign0 for a good price.
    As much as I liked my AC, the new Reign0 is an awesome ride and lighter.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Glad to hear you got an affordable hassle free replacement.

To others- I believe Giant only offers 5 year replacement on the Anthem frame series.
    According to the owner's manual, ALL current Giant bicycle frames are warrantied for life, including the Anthem. At least in the U.S. (I've seen owner's manuals for Giants sold in other countries that had different time spans on their warranties).

OP: glad it got taken care of quickly for you.

mvray-yeah, back when the ACs were available, it was still 5 years. I'm glad they hooked you up with a discount on a new frame. As nice as the AC was, the Reign is a really sweet machine.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.