mtbr member

Broken Bolt So Soon???-

Hey...
    Ive got an 08 Trance Advanced- had it for about 2 months...maybe 15 rides in so far- Just got back in from a short ride before work and one of my pivot bolts broke on one end of one bolt- Its the middle bolt in the maestro out of the four...the bolt that runs through the downtube- I didnt notice it till I got back to my house...at first I thought I had blown my rear shock but not the case- I know it happened in the last mile or so back to my house on paved road because I was messing with my chain on the trail and didnt notice it at all...I would have noticed this seeing as how when I pick up the bike by the seatpost theres about 1/4 inch of slack before the back tire comes up- I called my LBS and she said this was a maintenance issue...not a warranty issue- I did however notice some metal shavings stuck to the end of the pivot bolt where it broke- Not like it was coated in shavings but it was very noticeable- How bad is this??? Should I carry extra pivot bolts with me on rides- If this had happened further out and I had noticed theres no way I would have put any weight on it to get it back to the house! Seems like such a short time...so few rides for such a sweet ride to start wearing down-
    By the way, the thing rides beautifully- Besides this I have not had a single issue (2 months I would really hope not anyways)- Any advice really appreaciated-
    "The work stinks but the fringe benefits are great"

Johny Sokko!
    Dude! That is not a maintenance issue! That is a warranty issue! Pivot bolts are not supposed to break! Bearings go bad yes! but not breaking bolts.

Take it to shop and ask why they did not tell you that you need to maintain every 4 weeks! Just plain stupid!

Call Giant if you have anymore issues!

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]So the pivot bolt is actually snapped? That has to be a warrantee issue seeing as how itís such a new bike. If it worked its way loose then that may be a maintenance issue but it broke which sounds like a warrantee issue although the shavings make it sound like it was loose and rubbing itself away. Pivot bolts shouldnít be that expensive if you have to pay for it yourself and generally there is no need at all to carry extra pivot bolts around with you cos it hardly ever happens.

Get another bolt (should be covered by warrantee), make sure everything is well tightened and see how you get on.
    [/SIZE]

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Ask your LBS this simple question, "Please show me the maintenance operations I should have performed to prevent my pivot bolt from breaking."

"I'll wait"

Bolts do not break from lack of maintenance. They may come loose, but they do not break.

mtbr member
    Just talked to another good shop and he says in 12 years with Kona hes seen one bolt sheer off and the guy was totally oblivious to the fact that there were even bolts in his suspension- He didnt even know they were supposed to be tightned- Im gonna take it to the main Giant dealer here and put it on their showroom floor and ask them to take care of it- I really doubt its done anything to my frame at this point but I think Ill have them look over it and make sure- Just seems so weird to have this problem so soon...hopefully its a one time thing- I rode HT forever so Ive never had to deal with any of this before- Thanks for the advice-

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey guys, I have a similar issue with my Anthem 2, where both bolts that join the rear suspension dogbone (I think thats what its called) to the frame completely sheered. I bought it last year in October, and have been riding it once or twice a week since then. It's with my LBS now, waiting on the Giant rep to come and inspect it because apparently it's very rare for both bolts to go at the same time. They assure me that the warranty will cover it, but said something about having to take pictures of it and send it back to Taiwan so the manufacturer can look at it. It seems like a lot of fuss for a couple of bolts..

I'm wondering whether the way I ride my bike has anything to do with it? I don't take it on downhill tracks, but I do like to hit small jumps and get a little air. I've bottomed out on the rear suspension maybe 4-5 times, other than that I've taken good care of it (apart from having to bail a few times when I first got it and was getting used to clips). Should I be jumping less with this bike because of the small rear suspension travel?

Cheers,
    Matt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i think the reason they want to see it is because the bolts are absolutely not supposed to fail.

definitely a warranty issue, they'll sort you out

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by trudog
    apparently it's very rare for both bolts to go at the same time.
    Perhaps rare but not surprising. When one bolt breaks, the load that was distributed across two bolts is then carried by one. Especially if the bolts came from a bad batch.

but said something about having to take pictures of it and send it back to Taiwan so the manufacturer can look at it. It seems like a lot of fuss for a couple of bolts..
    Doesn't sound like a lot of fuss. Sounds very reasonable to me. They're not just any old bolts. It could be a serious issue if people start getting hurt because they've got a few hundred bad bolts breaking. Sounds like a responsible manufacturer. By tracking issues like this is how recalls get started.

I'm wondering whether the way I ride my bike has anything to do with it? I don't take it on downhill tracks, but I do like to hit small jumps and get a little air. I've bottomed out on the rear suspension maybe 4-5 times, other than that I've taken good care of it (apart from having to bail a few times when I first got it and was getting used to clips). Should I be jumping less with this bike because of the small rear suspension travel?
    You're riding an Anthem2? According to Giants site:
    "From the most demanding XC race courses to epic all-dayers on cherry singletrack, Anthem is built for speed. 3.5 inches of Maestro travel mated to Giantís lightest, racebutted ALUXX SL aluminum, the Anthem series is the standard by which all other dualsuspension race bikes are measured."

It's a lightweight race bike. I'd be cautious with abusing it on jumps, but from what you described I don't think you're anyware close to that.

mtbr member
    So I took my bike to my the local giant dealer last tuesday and as soon as she saw it she said it was def. warrenty- "Really weird" she said- So on the Trance anyways that one bolt had to be ordered with the other 2 bolts and 3 bushings (90 something bucks) that are located on the link- She said she hadnt seen anything like it so far so I dont know about a huge problem here...Im hoping its just a one time deal and not a recall issue-
    As far as your Anthem goes, I know it aint for dropping anything big- I know Giant says the anthem is a XC/trail bike where the trance is a trail/xc bike- Small difference but the trance has almost an extra inch of travel over the anthem- TLG is right- That bikes made to go fast but it shouldnt fall apart when you start going off 1 to 2 foot ledges...I dont think anyways-
    And as far as taking it apart and sending it off I dont think so- As soon as that rep sees your bike Id like to think he'll cover it and youll be on your way- If you dont think your frame is jacked youd be better off just buying the new pack of bolts and hanging onto your bike if he wont- You dont want to be out your bike right now-

mtbr member
    This is more Anthem related than Trance related, but, had a tourist come through the shop with an Anthem one, 6 months old or so.Broke a bolt on the upper linkplate, broken bearing too! Notified Giant tech, they agreed to cover it BUT, said pivot and suspension bolts should be checked every other ride at least! That seems a bit excessive , but thats the word i got!

mtbr member
    Seems a little over the top but it makes sense if you dont want to keep throwing money at bolts and bushings- Next time I have a bolt brake Ill just tell the rep that I tighten before, after and during rides (rides over 2 hours only though of course)-

mtbr member
    How long does it take for Giant to ship a pack of bolts to a shop? My bikes been at the shop for almost two weeks now- I want to go ride- Sh&*%^-

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Giant is usually very quick, they got my Trance from Holland to my UK dealer 36hrs after the order was placed when it usually takes about a week but my guess is the bolts are out of stock wherever they send them from so Giant having to send them from the main factory or something.

But if thereís one thing I learned from owning a Stumpy last year it was always have a backup.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Got a backup...its just such a downgrade its not even worth it- I think next year Im going to pick up something else with more travel- Till then Im sh*t outta luck and stuck riding the bus- My cars in the shop and my bikes in the shop- I guess I should just be grateful I have a bus to ride-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VailMaintenance
    Got a backup...its just such a downgrade its not even worth it- I think next year Im going to pick up something else with more travel- Till then Im sh*t outta luck and stuck riding the bus- My cars in the shop and my bikes in the shop- I guess I should just be grateful I have a bus to ride-
    [SIZE=2]Hehehe! A bus, youíve got to be kidding, last time I saw a bus near my house it had actually managed to break down right across the road blocking traffic.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Yeah laugh it up- I hate the bus but a 10 mile walk to work sucks too- My roommate rides a glory but hes broken his thumb so many times in the last three years that hes contemplating selling it to me for just under a grand- I could take that out but I dont want to go jump on a gondola for 20 bucks- The rig weighs more than I do so I cant really see myself riding up, well, anything- If I got something else it would be the TranceX- that thing looks so sweet-