mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Upset bring on the Reign / just venting

I bought a "lightly used" 05 Reign a few weeks ago to replace my 02 Kona Stinky DeeLux. I loved the Stinky but wanted something a little lighter and that pedaled easier while still having that long travel suspension. Ever since I saw the Reign, I wanted one, so here I am. Got a nice new All Mountian 1 fork to go with it also.

While assembling the bike I noticed some play in the rear suspension - found a loose lower shock bolt - no big deal. Tighten the bolt and checked all other linkage bolts and they were OK. Assembled the bike and weighed it - 37 lbs, 1 lb heavier than my Stinky, bummer, but that's ok as I'm not a weight weenie. Took bike for a ride and it pedaled similar to my old bike, maybe a little better and it rode really nice. Before long I noticed some clunking from the rear suspension. After the ride I rechecked bolts and stuff and they were ok. Next ride was fine. Third ride clunk came back but that problem was secondary as my AM1 fork lost all it's air and I had to go 6 miles with a bottomed out fork (not the frame's fault but still a bummer) . I got back, aired up the fork and let it sit over night. Cool, fork held air! Took on my 4th ride and fork lost air in 10 minutes. Said screw it and rode 10 miles on dead fork. Got back and sent fork to Marzocchi for warranty repair. Put on a Z1 freeride fork I had in my garage and finally I get a good ride in! Bike rode real nice only problem is that the clunking is back and is getting much worse. Cluncking is worst when hitting smaller/sharp bumps and does not seem to occur over large bumps. I rechecked the bolts and they are tight. The only thing I can thing of is that one or more of the bearings is bad. I ordered a new set of bearings from Enduroforkseals.com today. Hope this fixes the problem. At this point I'm pretty frustrated with the Reign. I'm sure the Reign will be a nice bike once I get the problems straightened out but for right now I WANT MY STINKY BACK!!

Sorry for complaining but at least I feel better!

Go Giant!

MTB B'dos
    Well glad you feel better after the vent, but don't believe that any of it's really justified against the Reign

I've experienced that "clunk" as well on my Trance when flying down a really rough road with some big pot holes and hitting them - might be the suspension botoming, but it's definitely not hitting anywhere on the frame. Only happens when I'm going fast and hit something that rebounds the suspension really quickly, although I haven't heard it recently.

As for if it's the bearings, don't feel bad that's the one thing that GIANT screwed us (Maestro owners) on with - guess that they wanted us to have something to complain about Let us know if the bearing kit helps
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I heard that if you re-pack the bearings with a good waterproof grease, before you initially ride the bike, youshouldn't have any problems.....but I'm going to order the set...just in case.
    TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well glad you feel better after the vent, but don't believe that any of it's really justified against the Reign

I've experienced that "clunk" as well on my Trance when flying down a really rough road with some big pot holes and hitting them - might be the suspension botoming, but it's definitely not hitting anywhere on the frame. Only happens when I'm going fast and hit something that rebounds the suspension really quickly, although I haven't heard it recently.

As for if it's the bearings, don't feel bad that's the one thing that GIANT screwed us (Maestro owners) on with - guess that they wanted us to have something to complain about Let us know if the bearing kit helps

mtbr member
    about this noise in suspension. try to examine all the joints of the suspension if there is no play in them. It doesn't mean you should try to tighten screws, cause if bearing is smashed, the bolt may be tighten, but there still will be play in the suspension....
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I've already ordered the bearings

from euroforkseals.com. I'd rather pay to change them myself than have my LBS hack my bike up. When I get and install them I'll let you know if that took care of the noise. GoRZ I noticed on another thread that you had bearing problems yourself. Were your symptoms the same? Did the bearings take care of the problems? If so, did the new bearings hold up any better?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005

Check SPV

My 05 Reign was making a clunking noise as well, sounded like the swingarm was bumping the frame or something (metal on metal noise).

It only seemed to do it when the SPV blewoff on the smaller bumps, so I called tech support. Manitou had me pump the SPV chamber on the Swinger to it's highest recomened limit (175-200lbs?...can't remember) to seat the SPV valve, cycle it a few times, then put it back to your prefured setting.
    On mine, it didn't work, and I sent the shock in, and they rebuilt the SPV. I didn't hear the clunk again.

Not sure if that's your problem, but it's easy to check.
    Good luck.
    N8

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yep thats what mine sounds like. I did suspect the shock but didn't think it would make that kind of noise. I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference and if it doesn't I'll try my friends shock before replacing bearings. How did you get in touch with Manitou?

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Sounds like SPV. good call.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Go to www.answerproducts.com and then go to contact us.
    TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgboy
    Yep thats what mine sounds like. I did suspect the shock but didn't think it would make that kind of noise. I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference and if it doesn't I'll try my friends shock before replacing bearings. How did you get in touch with Manitou?

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenit
    Go to www.answerproducts.com and then go to contact us.
    TJ

Thanks woodenit!

I left them a nice long email

Let you know what happens

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgboy
    Thanks woodenit!

I left them a nice long email

Let you know what happens
    Call them. Manitou is know for two things.... a good customer service and for not answering e-mails promptly.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It is best to call them...and a little secret, If you call and get a recorded menu, punch in "0" , it usually will hook you up with a real person.
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Call them. Manitou is know for two things.... a good customer service and for not answering e-mails promptly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    A tech called me from Manitou because of my email. First, he notified me that because I bought my frame used, the shock is no longer under warranty which kind of pissed me off because I know the frame only has about 60 miles on it . In regards to my noise he basically didn't have any good sugestions other than that I my have worn DU bushings. He said I could ship it back to them and they would look at the shock but would have to pay for it. I removed the shock, looked at the bushings and cycled the suspension and checked for play. Found no problems. I ordered reducers for my Fox shock and am going to try the Fox to see if it gets rid of the noise. If it does BYE BYE MANITOU!!