mtbr member
    May 2004

Brand New ATX860 Cheap?

I'm looking at buying an ATX860 from my LBS. It's brand new, but as far as I can tell it has been upgraded/changed. It has disk brakes (RST), Deore front & rear derailieurs, Deore cranks, Deore shifters, can't tell what the BB is, Marzocchi Z5 Air, Zac10? wheels, can't see anything on the hubs, SRAM 7.0 cassette, stock pedals.

The LBS is looking for around $1000, by comparison a Ranier would cost me about $1600. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. High taxes and not much competition!

Any comments or advice? I rode the bike for about 1 hour today and was very impressed with the shifting, comfort, response, basically everything, compared to my Iguana.

I have a great relationship with the LBS, I've had many problems with my Iguana, which he has fixed under warranty (and extended the warranty). I know he'll stand behind the ATX warranty.

What would you do? Save the $600 and buy the ATX or go for the Rainer?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brookside
    I'm looking at buying an ATX860 from my LBS. It's brand new, but as far as I can tell it has been upgraded/changed. It has disk brakes (RST), Deore front & rear derailieurs, Deore cranks, Deore shifters, can't tell what the BB is, Marzocchi Z5 Air, Zac10? wheels, can't see anything on the hubs, SRAM 7.0 cassette, stock pedals.

The LBS is looking for around $1000, by comparison a Ranier would cost me about $1600. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. High taxes and not much competition!

Any comments or advice? I rode the bike for about 1 hour today and was very impressed with the shifting, comfort, response, basically everything, compared to my Iguana.

I have a great relationship with the LBS, I've had many problems with my Iguana, which he has fixed under warranty (and extended the warranty). I know he'll stand behind the ATX warranty.

What would you do? Save the $600 and buy the ATX or go for the Rainer?

Thanks!
    Just a question, but isn't the ATX a 5-6 year old model?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes, I think it is a 1998 model, but is brand new. Apprently, the dealer borrowed some parts and left the in complete bike in his warehouse.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Too much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brookside
    Yes, I think it is a 1998 model, but is brand new. Apprently, the dealer borrowed some parts and left the in complete bike in his warehouse.
    Seems really, really high to me. I have an atx 990 from the same year sitting in the garage, and I wouldn't think I couls sell it for even half that amount. It's used, but it's the full suspension version with all XT.

For $1000 CDN you can easily find a 2-3 yr old Giant NRS in good shape on ebay (with way better parts), and for $1600 CDN you can pick up a whole lot of bike. FYI - a Giant Rainier sells for about $800 USD. Even if you order it from the States and pay exchange and shipping, you should still come in around $1300 max.

I like to support the local shops, but this guy is WAY overpriced.