Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: REIGN 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    117

    Brake issues on Reign 2

    Does anybody encountered any problems on their Reign 2 with the Hayes hydraulic brakes? My local bike shop mechanic told me they have a known problem on the Reign 2. It appears that the brake channels tend to crack due to the routing and the movement of the suspension. I have encountered a defective back brake that will be replaced by Hayes but unfortunately I'm out of a bike for the 3rd week now....

  2. #2
    In exile
    Reputation: loco-gringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by REIGN 2
    Does anybody encountered any problems on their Reign 2 with the Hayes hydraulic brakes? My local bike shop mechanic told me they have a known problem on the Reign 2. It appears that the brake channels tend to crack due to the routing and the movement of the suspension. I have encountered a defective back brake that will be replaced by Hayes but unfortunately I'm out of a bike for the 3rd week now....
    How is that a Hayes problem??? I don't know why they would have to replace anything over a suspension problem. That said, my hose kinked as well. I have Juicy's on a Reign frame set and I plan to try a Goodridge line.

  3. #3
    spinner
    Reputation: Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    186
    I am trying to "train" my cables at the moment. I'm hoping that after a month or so , I can remove the zip ties shown in the pics and the cables will slide through the guides and stop the kinking problem so many Reign owners are having. If I have to keep the ties there , then so be it , but hopefully the "training" will sort them out.

    With the zip ties in place , the cables are sliding nicely. I have kept the ties loose , the main objective , to stop the cables from bowing when the suspension is active.
    It's working well so far.

    EDIT: I forgot to add , that on the brake line side , I removed the plastic clip that fits to the frame on the rear cable guide and looped a cable tie loosely through it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pinky; 02-16-2006 at 01:17 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pitto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    522
    ive attached a photo of what ive done, lucky enough i have enough hydro hose to allow for it. using two zip ties and some clear protecting tape, it works a treat.

    G


  5. #5
    In exile
    Reputation: loco-gringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky
    I am trying to "train" my cables at the moment. I'm hoping that after a month or so , I can remove the zip ties shown in the pics and the cables will slide through the guides and stop the kinking problem so many Reign owners are having. If I have to keep the ties there , then so be it , but hopefully the "training" will sort them out.

    With the zip ties in place , the cables are sliding nicely. I have kept the ties loose , the main objective , to stop the cables from bowing when the suspension is active.
    It's working well so far.

    EDIT: I forgot to add , that on the brake line side , I removed the plastic clip that fits to the frame on the rear cable guide and looped a cable tie loosely through it.

    Mine kinked when I had it tied too the gear housing behind the seat tube. I plan to replace my hose and will remove the rear clip on the top tube, and put a zip tie around the top tube. I hope this works, as I don't want to buy a $65 Goodridge line to stop kinking. I think the front triangle rear clip is too far back. Up 6" looks like it would solve the problem.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    115

    brakes on reign

    the rear brakes on my reign were doing the same had them in the shop twice . it kept gradually losing power . bike shop never really told me what it was but that it was a defect in the system something about hayes and giant agreeing on a price point and hayes slightly changing brake design or something like that .(load of crap really) anyway they switched the brakes out for shimano deor m525s wich i thought would be inferior. they told me that they were good brakes and very reliable . well they were right they have great modulation and are superb brakes been riding hard (when conditions allow,muddy as hell in central il) and took two trips to st. george utah . all in all been on the bike for probably 9 months or more with flawless operation

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: REIGN 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Mine kinked when I had it tied too the gear housing behind the seat tube. I plan to replace my hose and will remove the rear clip on the top tube, and put a zip tie around the top tube. I hope this works, as I don't want to buy a $65 Goodridge line to stop kinking. I think the front triangle rear clip is too far back. Up 6" looks like it would solve the problem.
    Do you think a Goodridge line would not kink anymore? I'm not that familiar with hydraulic lines, but if that's the case I would gladly invest the $ 65.- to solve the problem. Thanks everyone for the input!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: REIGN 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Mine kinked when I had it tied too the gear housing behind the seat tube. I plan to replace my hose and will remove the rear clip on the top tube, and put a zip tie around the top tube. I hope this works, as I don't want to buy a $65 Goodridge line to stop kinking. I think the front triangle rear clip is too far back. Up 6" looks like it would solve the problem.
    Do you think a Goodridge line would not kink anymore? I'm not that familiar with hydraulic lines, but if that's the case I would gladly invest the $ 65.- to solve the problem. Thanks everyone for the input!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pitto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    522
    ive made sure the zip tie round the hose is not tight. this allows the hose to move freely thru the loop.

    G

  10. #10
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,049
    The big advantage to the Goodridge hoses is the thicker teflon wall which is less prone to kinking, and then the stainelss braid helps keep it from being bent (sets a minimum bend radius) so that helps keep things from getting kinky. The plastic coating on the hose will prevent it from sawing through the aluminium too.
    Quote Originally Posted by REIGN 2
    Do you think a Goodridge line would not kink anymore? I'm not that familiar with hydraulic lines, but if that's the case I would gladly invest the $ 65.- to solve the problem. Thanks everyone for the input!

  11. #11
    Scuffed
    Reputation: Amber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    174
    I've done the same. My cables were bowing out, but as soon as I took the Giant cable route clips off and used looser cable ties instead and they are now working perfectly.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    17

    Zip Tye

    All I did was place a black zip tye right in front of there upper guide on the top of the left seat stay and tightened it down. The zip sits about 3/4 of an inch in front of there guide but the brake cable is flush with the stay. My rear brake cable (juicy seven) now slides thru the top tube guides with no kinking or bowing at the pivot point. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps.Scott
    Last edited by lightplay; 02-28-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •