mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Smile boulder disk brake question

i just bought some avid BB5's off of a friend and i am wondering what adapters i will need for my boulder.

the rotors are 160mm and the boulder is an '08

thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    are the mounts IS mounts?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...-Included).htm

is this what i would need for them to fit on the rear mounts (holes in axle holder)

anyone have a boulder w/ disc brakes on it for reference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have an 08 Boulder SE and I'm pretty sure there are no mounts for a disk brake on the back of the bike. So you might be stuck with V-brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

here is the rear portion of my boulder..are these holes possible for a rear brake caliper mount?

thanks for any help/suggestions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I don't think those are the right size holes. The above pic is just one I found online but it shows what a normal IS mount looks like. You can measure the distance between the center of the holes if you want. The IS mount distance should be 51mm. The mount is usually on the swing arm too, not on the axle bracket thing.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I can't remember for sure on the '08 Boulder, but I know the '09 has no disc brake tabs to mount to. Besides that, you'd need disc hubs/wheels also. You're looking at spending more money to upgrade than the bike originally cost you probably. You might see about trading it in for a Rincon and then upgrading the brakes on it with the BB5's you just bought. See what the shop you got the bike from will give you for it, see what it will cost to upgrade, figure up the difference and go from there. My guess is it will be cheaper to just get the Rincon, then put the BB5's on it.

Motobey
    Quote Originally Posted by tacoma350

here is the rear portion of my boulder..are these holes possible for a rear brake caliper mount?

thanks for any help/suggestions!
    I don't think you can use those holes for calipers, they look like fender holes.
    Caliper average around 74 mm.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.