mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Bought 2011 Reign 2 Used - what do I need to know?

Browsing the Giant forum, I am picking up I should get the RWS bearing and watch for Maestro cracks.

What is the 411 executive summary I need to know about this bike to improve or maintain?
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO (Tang, XTR groupo)
    2011 Giant Reign 2 (XT groupo)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow no takers... I too just picked up a used 2011 Reign 1 and would like to know as well. However the lack of responses should say something positive as alot of the reviews I've read have been good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No problems with my 2010 to date. Bearings may be first thing to replace.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    The Reign is a good solid bike. I rode a 2011 for about 2months. After that i liked the bike so much i went and bought an 2012 reign 2(i test rode the Reign 1, Faith, Trance, a Slayer, and a couple of Treks, but LOTS of research). I love it so far as i did with the '11. Yes besides your obvious maintenance, watch your suspension bearings keep mud and **** out of them and in-between the links. As far as cracking the links, i personally never had or heard of that(besides on here) happening.. I would like to think that problem is only with the older frames and Giant has fixed this problem.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a 11 Reign 2 and keep saying to myself i am going to write a review and never get around to it. I have rode the dogsnot out of mine and i cant think of a better dollar for dollar value than this thing. I do a lot of AM riding and this thing has been awesome. The LBS is amazed how well this thing has held up and the bearings are as tight as when i bought it.

The only problem i have had is the steerer tube in the Fox fork has come loose in the crown..... Twice. WTF. As i type i wait on fox and their warranty depts sleepy repair schedule.....

I feel the 32 series fork takes a lot of abuse in the exceptionally stiff headtube on the Reign. Couple that with a bigger guy riding fast, rough stuff and somethings gotta give. On a fire road i can see the fork flexing fairly easily so im not surprised it has failed. IMO lg and XL frames should automatically come with 36 series forks cause big guys are riding them.... DUH
    I am debating a 36 series fork when mine returns from fox. LBS thinks it will solve issue once and for all. Anyway, it has been the only issue i have had with this bike. And its not Giants fault...

Only things i changed are wider bars, a bash ring and swapped out for a low volume chamber in the rear shock (highly Rec if over 175 lbs.)

Im still amazed on the climbing ability of this thing. The propedal switch gets a lot of play on mine. Insane how that changes the personality of the bike. Im usually a set and forget it guy but i flip that switch a lot.

In setting up yours spend some time experimenting with pressures in the shocks. The sweet spot took some time to find for me. 3-4 #'s in either direction and the performance suffered. I check mine religiously.

The brakes arent the best but get it done. My friend put bigger rotors on his and it made a big diff in modulation.

Im 5' 10" and went wit a large based on LBS and Giant reps rec..... I wouldnt change that. I rode a med around and it was cramped, esp if you want to climb. I know, i know is wayyy more" in style" to have a Med but i trust the people who engineer the bike more than some kid on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice review 440fish.

Does anyone know which RWC needle bearings to get for the 2011 Reign 2?
    RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just curious, what psi are you using in the rear shock before and after you swapped out the chamber?

I weigh 175lbs and I'm running 220psi and I think it's way too much. I've read a few threads about how people have done what you have and some have added a shim to their existing shock to reduce volume, wihch is what I'm really interested in.

Don't get me wrong, love the bike and handles awesome, but it's the suspension that needs to be dialed in... I have to leave it in ProPedal because "Open" is too mushy and bouncy.
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    08 Specialized StumpJumper
    11 Giant Reign (converted to 27.5)
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went from 195ish to 170 - 175 in the rear after the low volume chamber. Yes, its very, very active in the open mode but i think it is supposed to be. Where is your rebound? Im at 6 out. (make sure you arent "between" clicks)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I did "DGC's Shim Mod" and WOW!, what a difference. It's basically doing the same thing as swapping out the sleeve for a lower volume sleeve but without spending any money and having your bike ready to ride in 15 mintues. And the ability to tailor it specifically to your weight/riding style/liking etc.

Went from 220psi (still blowing the o-ring off the shaft after every ride) to 180psi (still have 3/16" travel left to prevent bottoming out) and I now get to leave it on "open" mode.

Long story short, the shock is now functioning in a more progressive manner as it should.
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    Well, I did "DGC's Shim Mod" and WOW!, what a difference. It's basically doing the same thing as swapping out the sleeve for a lower volume sleeve but without spending any money and having your bike ready to ride in 15 mintues. And the ability to tailor it specifically to your weight/riding style/liking etc.

Went from 220psi (still blowing the o-ring off the shaft after every ride) to 180psi (still have 3/16" travel left to prevent bottoming out) and I now get to leave it on "open" mode.

Long story short, the shock is now functioning in a more progressive manner as it should.
    Does this mod help with peddling efficiency? Not enjoying the amount of peddle bob right now.

Where can I get more details on the mod?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes.

Here is the original thread: DW 5 Spot RP23 mod
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    glad it worked for you!... The low volume chamber is like 15 bucks... not sure if thats a life changing investment or not.

I have not had peddle bob on this bike in pro pedal or without??? For a 6" bike its pretty amazing pedal wise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree, $15 isn't asking for much, but I couldn't find them anywhere online and the Fox website isn't much help either (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough). However, the spacer kit people mention is about $40 and I couldn't find that online anywhere either.

Also, to replace the sleeve would require me to remove the shock from the frame and on a Giant Reign it isn't as simple as some other frame designs. It would require me to remove the cranks and that's just one more hassle. I was able to do this mod with the shock in place.

There's nothing wrong with saving a few bucks if you can...
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Gotcha, i was only kidding on the $ savings, no offense intended.

I do like the fact that the chamber is an exact measurement and i can dial it in "scientifically." My lbs threw it in for free in like 10 min so i guess im not considering the install. Either way it gets it done.

Keep playing with the psi and it will only get better. When i found the sweet spot the diff in propedal on / off is drastic. Its pretty impressive that the rear never bottoms hard or clanks on a g-out.

Im shopping for tires now as mine are pretty shot. Not sure which direction to go

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Haha, you got me...

Whatever you do, stay away from the stock Navegals. I'm sure already know they are great tires, but heavy as bricks (at least it feels like it) and I'm running Stan's no-Tubes. Must be the stock rims...
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

_
    Mar 2004
    Great info here guys, thanks. I'm looking into picking up a Reign in the near future, and it sounds like that shim-mod is a must do for me. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had mine about a month and have ridden the crap out of it. So far I'm loving this bike!
    Cheap Thrills in Whistler

Pura Vida in Whistler

Middle Fork Snoqualmie Washington

Sooo good!