mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bottoming out VT2

Landing a 1 foot jump always results in the o-ring on the rear shock being pushed to the very bottom.

I weigh 160lbs, and have set the main pressure and spv as high as 200 and 175 respectively, with no luck. I ussually ride the bike at 110/80.

Is it normal to use all the travel on such a small jump? I was hoping to try some 2-3 foot jumps this year. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

XC rider/racer
    I usually run mine (VT3, Swinger 3 way) at 100psi in the SPV, and 140psi in the main. I weigh 163lbs and havent had any probs in regards to the o ring bottoming out.
    Whilst racing i`ve taken a few large ramps (about 2` high) and after landing them...the o ring is usually a few millimetres off reaching the bottom....rear linkage is set at 5.7".
    How high a tyre pressure are you running?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you tried turning in the SPV volume adjuster? The adjuster is around the SPV valve and takes a 16mm socket to change. Turning the adjuster in a couple of turns will make a more progessive spring rate and should help with the bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I run my tires around 40psi.

And my rear shock is a 3 way, so I can't changing the spv volume.

I've never felt/heard a clunk, so maybe I'm just getting close to bottoming. I'll try some higher drops and see if I manage to use more travel.

Thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Didn't know the 3-way was used on the VT. All the VTs around here have the 4-way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Didn't know the 3-way was used on the VT. All the VTs around here have the 4-way.
    the 04 vt's use the 3-way swinger and the 03 vt's used the 4-way swinger instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    the 04 vt's use the 3-way swinger and the 03 vt's used the 4-way swinger instead.
    Seems like a little cost cutting is going on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Seems like a little cost cutting is going on.
    hmm, maybe, but i also heard that the piggyback on the swinger 4 way got in the way of the seat post sometimes so it affected seat adjustability, also the 3 way is a bit lighter haha, not too big of a deal i guess.

mtbr member
    That's exactly why Giant went the 3way way, the piggyback was in the middle of the adjustability range of the seat.

My SPV volume at 1 turn in and haven't bottomed out yet, I'm 200lbs.

I run Hutchinson Scorpions UST, 2.3f @ 30psi and 2.0r @ 40psi

shaved yeti

Manitou 3-way

When you sit completely on the bike, what is your amount of rear sag (in percent)? I find that on VTs the leverage is a bit high, so you may be running too much sag (more pressure in the main chamber). Set up your sag with no pressure in the SPV chamber (red valve should be at 0). You should have about 20-30% sag at this point.

Pump up the SPV after you get the sag right. SPV will add a bit to your preload (sag), this is just fine. Pump it up to what your spv was before, Sounds like SPV pressure is about right for a guy your size. Mess with SPV pressure till the bob disappears from your pedal strokes.

If all this fails....

Stable Platform is rebound adjustment sensitive (platform controls valving, and valving is rebound sensitive). If you have rebound placed either too fast or too slow, you'll tend to blow through your travel.

You'll really get some different feel from your shock just by adjusting the rebound knob on your 3-way.

I know it sounds messed up to adjust your rebound when your coming close to bottoming, because rebound has nothing to do with compression (unrelated), but just make the adjustment and let us know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I pumped the main chamber to 150 and the spv to 80, and made sure the rebound was near the middle. This gives me about 25% sag.

I found that a 1 foot drop used alittle over 90% of the travel and a 1.5 foot drop pushed the o ring almost off the piston. This is definately better than before. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

4-way swinger

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    That's exactly why Giant went the 3way way, the piggyback was in the middle of the adjustability range of the seat.

My SPV volume at 1 turn in and haven't bottomed out yet, I'm 200lbs.

I run Hutchinson Scorpions UST, 2.3f @ 30psi and 2.0r @ 40psi
    btw, i have a 2003 VT1 and I had always wondered about the seat adjustability issue as well. I'm going to try and flip the swinger 4-way upside down this week so that the piggyback is at the bottom and see if that helps with seat adjustability.

mtbr member
    I've heard about that here but haven't tried it myself. If you do try it let us know how it went.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    I've heard about that here but haven't tried it myself. If you do try it let us know how it went.
    yup for sure!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

something doesn't sound right here

I weigh 208 and have not bottomed out my suspension yet. I followed the 3 step setup provived by Giant and set it up for 210 lbs.

I just got back from a ride with multiple 2' drops and didn't bottom out once. Now, the sag ring is pretty high but nothing I would be worried about. I still have a good 1" to go before the ring goes to the end and the sag is 25%.

I suspect based on my experiance with the swinger 4 that you may have something esle going on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MainerH
    Landing a 1 foot jump always results in the o-ring on the rear shock being pushed to the very bottom.

I weigh 160lbs, and have set the main pressure and spv as high as 200 and 175 respectively, with no luck. I ussually ride the bike at 110/80.

Is it normal to use all the travel on such a small jump? I was hoping to try some 2-3 foot jumps this year. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks
    I weight 150 with gear. I run my swinger 3 way spv at 100 and main chamber at 130, suspension set to 5.7". I've been on a bike 3 time so far, but i feel this is way too soft because i use almost all travel all the time. Today i've bottomed the suspension on something like 3' drop, but cant tell exactly bseouse it was at speed. Should i pump more pressure, or mayby this is normal ?

shaved yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    I weight 150 with gear. I run my swinger 3 way spv at 100 and main chamber at 130, suspension set to 5.7". I've been on a bike 3 time so far, but i feel this is way too soft because i use almost all travel all the time. Today i've bottomed the suspension on something like 3' drop, but cant tell exactly bseouse it was at speed. Should i pump more pressure, or mayby this is normal ?
    It is pretty normal to use a lot of travel on the VT and not bottom out. That's part of SPV technology. It is unusual to blow through all your travel on a 3 foot drop. How much sag are you running? Just by the numbers, sounds like you may need more in the main chamber and less in the SPV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkey
    It is pretty normal to use a lot of travel on the VT and not bottom out. That's part of SPV technology. It is unusual to blow through all your travel on a 3 foot drop. How much sag are you running? Just by the numbers, sounds like you may need more in the main chamber and less in the SPV.
    With 130 main and 100 SPV i get 28% sag (14mm), with 150 main i get 22% sag (11mm). I use 2002 psylo xc with stock springs set to 125mm, i've use 94mm od travel on that ride, and i sometimes bottom out this fork.
    Last edited by Michal; 03-29-2004 at 01:12 PM.

XC rider/racer

More pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    I`d be inclined to try a little more pressure in the main spring...go to 140psi and experiment upwards from there....shouldnt take you too long to find something thats really suits your riding style and trails.
    Cheers