mtbr member

In a bit of a dilema. Need opinion

Alright so a few months ago I bought a used Giant Trance 3. Loved riding it, very happy with the Trance. The frame had some cable rub and decided I was gonna powder coat the frame. I also had planned to do the enduro bearing upgrade. So I waited till the bearings arrived before I started to break the bike down.

As I was taking the bike apart I noticed some gouges and deep scratches on the top bearings on the rear triangle. I was gonna take the pieces to a giant dealer to get everything pressed in and out. After seeing the gouges I got concerned and went to my buddies garage and pressed out the bearings on the 12 Ton Press. Much to my concern the previous owner did a horrible job with bearing replacement.

I took the rear triangle to my local bike shop and had a few techs look at it. They gave me 2 responses. The professional honest response was to find a replacement triangle or get a new one from Giant. The 2nd unofficial response was that I could press in the bearings but because of the gouges the bearings will most likely not be centered perfectly and cause the bearings to wear rapidly possibly adding stress to the rear triangle and may crack part of the triangle.

So I turn to you guys because I had planned to get my bike powder coated tomorrow. Now should I take a chance and save up some money so I can buy a new rear triangle in a few months, or use the money I have now that I was gonna use on new shifters, derailuers, and brakes and order the new rear triangle.

Whats a thread without pics.

2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that I've checked the holes and they appear to be ok and not ovalised.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

DTL
    mtbr member
    I am not a bike mechanic by any means but looking at the pictures I can see how your lbs thought those gouges could affect the proper placement of the new bearings. I would spring for the new triangle and powdercoat later. Thats just my opinion.

May contain nuts
    I'd be inclined to PC it, press the new bearings in and ride it.

The housings look pretty scruffy, but there may lots of life left, as long as the bearings seat well. Use anti-seize when pressing in the new bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would take it, with the bearings to a local machine shop and ask them what it would cost to fix it up and then weigh that against the cost of a new one. Then decide whether to fix or replace, now or later.
    Kaveh in Albuquerque

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    This's a toughy, If you really love this bike & are going through all the effort & expense to powdercoat it I'd probably look into replaceing the rear triangle. Might be only a couple hundred?
    Coarse Haggis has a point,it's mostly cosmetic, I think it would still hold up fine unless you are a heavyweight or a leaper..

May contain nuts
    I have seen worse - the gouge marks seem mostly external, not the bearing seat surfaces. As long as the actual housings aren't ovalised you'll be fine. Paint the sucker and ride it like you stole it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    This's a toughy, If you really love this bike & are going through all the effort & expense to powdercoat it I'd probably look into replaceing the rear triangle. Might be only a couple hundred?
    Coarse Haggis has a point,it's mostly cosmetic, I think it would still hold up fine unless you are a heavyweight or a leaper..

I weigh 230lbs 5'11". I live in South Florida the park I usually ride have elevation changes of 5-10 ft and drops no bigger than 1-2ft. Some of the farther parks have elevations of like 50ft+ but still dont have big drops.

I decided not to powder coat it. I was stripping it to powder coat and fell in love with the brushed raw aluminum look. I was gonna powder coat it white. I have a friend making custom vinyl decals for me. This is a photoshop of what it might look.

2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

May contain nuts
    Shiny. What's the significance of the Puma? Local mammal? Favourite sneakers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Shiny. What's the significance of the Puma? Local mammal? Favourite sneakers?

Favorite Sneaker brand. I've been wearing Puma since I was 6 Im 23 now. Puma King is my nick name. Also I'm a moderator on the Puma forums yada yada. Im trying to get them into the MTB side of cycling and not just stay in Road Cycling.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR