mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Bike Maintenance Giant FS

Hi!

What service maintenance routine do you have for your Giant fully suspension bike?

Lubricate the Maestro linkage?
    Fork service?

mtbr member
    Clean around all the pivot bearings with a toothbrush, and "floss" in between the linkages with a thin rag to get any accumulated dirt out. DON'T put any lube on the outside of the bearings. It won't do anything besides attract dirt.

Check all of the pivots to make sure that they are tight. If they are really loose (especially the lower rear) you may need to pull it apart and put BLUE thread locking compound (removable) on it. You're going to have to pull your cranks to get to the bolt on the drive-side. Remember: BLUE Loctite, NOT red. God help you if you ever use red Loctite on anything on a bike. You'll never get it apart.

If you want to tear everything apart, you can gently pry the seals off of outside of the bearings with a thin knife or a pick, and add some high quality (EP) synthetic grease, then put the seals back on. This really helped my inner-front bearings which support the lower shock mount (should be a bushing, not a bearing there). Again, clean all the grease/grime off the outsides, as it will attract dirt, which hold in moisture, which leads to corrosion....

If after this you "feel" any vertical looseness, it's most likely the DU bushing at the top of the shock. You can grease this, but it will still wear out in a few months of regular riding. I'm replacing mine with a "needle bearing" kit from RWC.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride my Anthem and cross my fingers and hope I don't have to do what the guy above me just posted...but he is right! Sometimes I just ride my Heckler instead because it has less things to go wrong and is much easier to clean.

Control Freak
    I have had my trance for over a year and just replaced all the bearing from RWC...this thing feels better than the day I bought it. I wash mine after every ride and clean the chain as well..im OCD so I like a clean bike...I check tire pressure before every ride...tubeless for me....

mtbr member
    A little OCD goes a long way in insuring that you can just grab your bike and go ride ANYTHING, ANYTIME without worrying even a bit about a mechanical failure running your day. My bike is seldom "clean" per say. But, the drivetrain, steering, brakes, tires,and suspension will have been recently and reasonably looked after before every ride. I've learned what I can "let go" and what needs to be attended to. I do all the work myself either in my shop or at my LBS. I ask our mechanic a lot of questions, and he usually answers "eeeets fine Fred", and gives me a look that clearly let's me know I'm a little nuts. It's not that hard guys. Take pride in the work of your own hands. Buy some decent shop tools. If you take care of your bike, it will take care of you.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS