mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Betd Horst bearing kit for NRS

I have had my nrs for a number of years and it is time again to replace the bushes in the horst link. I was wondering if anyone has tried the bearing conversion kit from Betd in the UK. Is there any advantages over the bushes? Does it work better? It is fairly expensive and I just want to get some feed back on it, and if it is worth the money. Thanks

Giant STP 06
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs_dave
    I have had my nrs for a number of years and it is time again to replace the bushes in the horst link. I was wondering if anyone has tried the bearing conversion kit from Betd in the UK. Is there any advantages over the bushes? Does it work better? It is fairly expensive and I just want to get some feed back on it, and if it is worth the money. Thanks
    Never heard of them, but try these http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id62.html

Enduro is a great company from what I hear of, and I've heard those are great bearings. I'd really look into them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I had a look at them also. There bearings look excellent. I got in contact with them and asked them about the kit. They said that they could supply the bearings to change over from bushes, no problem. But apparently there is "hardware" that they don't sell to convert it over. Unless there is someone who knows where to get bolts, and other stuff to change it. I might get enduro bearings for the other piviot points.

I <3 29ers
    I had a look at them also. There bearings look excellent. I got in contact with them and asked them about the kit. They said that they could supply the bearings to change over from bushes, no problem. But apparently there is "hardware" that they don't sell to convert it over. Unless there is someone who knows where to get bolts, and other stuff to change it. I might get enduro bearings for the other piviot points.
    It depends on what year your NRS is. There were changes in the HL pivot through the years, along with a design change in '04 that effects your decision. For the '04/05 models bearings (as opposed to bushings) were standard equipment. You simply buy the Enduro MAX bearing kit, swap all the bearings and you're done.

The previous years CAN be converted to the same spec, but you need the hardware, as you have found out (Chris at Enduro ROCKS, eh?!?!). It should be as simple as going to your local Giant dealer and ordering a kit. I have two sets of the Enduro MAX NRS bearing kits and the HL bearing is the same OD as the bushings.

You can purchase the BETD kit if you like. It's complete, but beware - from what i've come to understand in past postings here the advertised price is PER SIDE. Understand that i'm NOT 100% sure about this and I have no intention on finding out as I think it's already too much money ...... the hardware isn't even titanium for that price. Contact them and ask about this to be sure for yourself (is you do so, please update here to provide actual fact).

Good luck and please do let us know what you decide on doing and results.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member

andrewto

i need to replace pretty much everything in the rear triangle... im looking at either the BETD or enduro bearings.... are the bolts included in either??? teflon washers? where would recommend picking up reducers for a decent price for SID shock if i want to bypas the LBS even if its more $$(different story).

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    i need to replace pretty much everything in the rear triangle... im looking at either the BETD or enduro bearings.... are the bolts included in either??? teflon washers? where would recommend picking up reducers for a decent price for SID shock if i want to bypas the LBS even if its more $$(different story).
    I'm going to respond in your other thread, laacklund, just to keep it al "neat and tidy".

For those interested;
    betd/ enduro bearings

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I hope that it is not 30 pound per side, that would just be plain rude, but I will find out before I purchase. I might have a look into the whole latter model conversion thing. The bike shops I have tried do not have much imagination, and it all appears to hard for them to work out. I might have to do a bit more research. But what I really want to know is it worth the hassle of converting to bearings? Is there a difference that you can notice while riding or should I just stick with bushes an not waste my time.

I <3 29ers
    I hope that it is not 30 pound per side, that would just be plain rude, but I will find out before I purchase. I might have a look into the whole latter model conversion thing. The bike shops I have tried do not have much imagination, and it all appears to hard for them to work out. I might have to do a bit more research. But what I really want to know is it worth the hassle of converting to bearings? Is there a difference that you can notice while riding or should I just stick with bushes an not waste my time.
    Is it noticeable? Honestly Dave, I don't know. I can only speculate that you wouldn't find much difference when riding. I really don't see it taking time off race laps, that's for sure. With new bushings installed in the HL pivot the rear DOES move smoothly with the shock removed. Good enough for me. I haven't had any issues with bushing sqeaking as of yet, but my ride time has been VERY limited on my NRS (it's winter up here, eh?!). Converting to bearings would eliminate this.

I simply got in contact with John here in MTBR (username = John) and ordered a pair of the proper bushings from him. IIRC, they were $20 US funds for the pair. Again, not knowing for SURE about the BETD specifics I didn't want to bother finding out the hard way. I'd just assume to make my own bearing conversion kit for much cheaper. That's why I went ahead and ordered the Enduro MAX bearings for mine. The bushings are only in there untill I get my own bearing conversion kit made.

I can only offer doing a search here in the Giant section of MTBR and see what others have said in the past.

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    I e-mailed BETD about what we've been discussing. As follows;

1) pricing - the 30 GBP for the HL kits ONLY are for a pair, enough to do both sides of one bike. Obviously the FULL bearing kit is enough to do one bike.

2) the spacers and other hardware used in ALL of the NRS kits is aluminum. Notsure about the bolts, though. I didn't think of asking about that (assuming they're steel).

3) the bearings used are Enduro Max bearings.

I still can't comment on wether or not it's worth it to switch to bearings in the HL pivot, but a chat with the local authorized Giant dealer revealed that the bushings "are stronger because there's more surface area", "the bushings are lighter" and "it's cheaper to buy the bushings then buy an expensive kit". Quotes because they're his words, not mine - I am inclined to believe him though.
    Last edited by AndrewTO; 03-17-2006 at 08:47 PM.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I did a bit os seraching on the net the other day and I have located a place in australia that does bike frame repairs and custom modification work. They also be bearings and other bits and pieces. I have emailed them and waiting for a reply. Will post details when they get back to me. Fingers crossed.