mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. Best shock upgrade for 2002 AC Air Lite?

Going back a few years here...

I've got a 2002 AC Air Lite with the Sid XC and wanted to upgrade the rear shock to something more plush and better pedaling. I'm a bit out of touch with rear suspension technology. Was told before that a Manitou swinger would be a great improvement (but this was several years ago).

I am moving more and more to cross-country riding with the bike, but still do some 3-4 ft drops, nothing bigger. Lots of rocks/roots on the trails I ride. I ride mostly in the 4.5" and 5.15" settings on the rear shock. I'm 160 pounds.

Any input on the best shock upgrade for the AC suspension design? The I2I is 7.5".

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have run a bunch of shocks on my AC including the swinger. I would stick with the air shocks for more adjustability and a better weight for the XC riding. I would go with something with propedal or other platform, to firm up the suspension while you pedal.
    Last of The Allaire Bastards[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the Cane Creek Cloud 9 right now.

To throw a wrench into everything, this morning I broke the frame at the seatpost tube on my morning ride, so we'll see what Giant does with warrantying the frame...maybe this will be a frame upgrade opportunity....or maybe they'll send me a replacement AC frame. I guess we'll see.

mtbr member
    Let us know how the warranty pans out.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey pslovo. I feel for you. Last year my AC Air Lite broke in the exact same spot. Giant said I was SOL b/c they only warrant the aluminum frames for 5 years. Giant did offer to sell me a Reign X frame for shop cost ($600 IIRC). They said no AC frames available. Since that was more bike than I wanted, I told Giant no thanks.
    Fortunately, the LBS I've bought from for years offered a nice deal on a 2008 Reign 0 and I bought it (the first one of the new model out their door). I'm glad I did. Much better bike the AC Lite and more fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I did take the bike in to my LBS where I bought it; when they called Giant, they were told I had two options:

1) replace the AC front triangle - they apparently do have replacement AC frames through the warranty process; or

2) go through the crash replacement program for a Reign X and pay basically half price.

The Reign X would be way overkill for my style of riding, so I opted for the replacement AC front triangle, as the bank account currently won't let me get a brand new bike
    I did need a copy of the original receipt of sale (which I had).

I already warrantied the rear triangle 2 years ago, and that went smoothly, so hopefully this will as well.

We'll see how the warranty process goes...will update.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Update

So I called my LBS today, and the replacement triangle just came in. The shop also informed me that Giant now does have Trance X framesets, and would honor a crash replacement of the AC for a Trance X at half cost. They originally did not give me that as an option - only the Reign X. So I now have a Trance X replacement frameset coming within the week. It's been a long wait, but I'm stoked and can't wait to get out on it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Update:

The new small Trance XO frameset came in and my bike was built up - all components from the AC went over except for the front derailleur, so that was nice.

The new frame rides great! So much less bobbing with pedaling, and the RP23 has a great feel over the smaller stuff. Haven't hit any bigger stuff yet.