mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Best Front and Rear Derailleur Combo for Trance

I just bought a new Trance 3. What would be the best combo of front and rear derailleurs? I was looking at getting the SRAM x.0 for the rear, but is that the best way to go? I would like any suggestions of good set ups...front/rear derailleur and shifter combo? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I love my XTR M952 with the a XT M760 top swing/pull. I also hear the SRAM X0 stuff is real nice, but I haven't had any need to change over or try it as the Shimano stuff has been extremely reliable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The SRAM rear derailleurs enable a much straighter cable run at the final loop. You're pretty much limited to Shimano Top-Swing derailleurs in the front.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecov
    I just bought a new Trance 3. What would be the best combo of front and rear derailleurs? I was looking at getting the SRAM x.0 for the rear, but is that the best way to go? I would like any suggestions of good set ups...front/rear derailleur and shifter combo? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.
    Welcome to the family of happy Trance owners. Glad you're thinking down the line here of what you'll replace the very nice LX stuff with when it wears out. Personally I don't think that the expensive stuff - XTR X.0 - are deserving of the extra cash they ask for them and would stick with XT/X9 stuff if I was you. Personally I've stuck with Shimano even though I don't really like supporting the "big dawgs", but their stuff just works. I just replaced my LX FD with an older XT M750 FD for $19.50 from JensonUSA and it's working great (cheapear than even a Deore FD) I'll replace the RD with prob an XT M760 when the LX has done it's thing and is ready to retire - just cleaned it up yesterday and she's as good as new again.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Did you get long or medium cage RD?

What size did you get?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Trance like many full suspension designs needs to have the front derailer set 1 mm higher than with a hard tail. It doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference. This is due to the fact that when you sit on a FS bike that isn't a URT design the rear swing arm will move the chain-line up slightly. This is a common mistake made by people not used to setting up FS bikes.

MTB B'dos
    Forgot to just remind you that the Trance can only use a low-clamp design FD so for now you're only able to use Shimano derailers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Go with Long cage

What size did you get?
    Long cage is what comes on the bike. Unless you know you will never use the 34 and 30 tooth cogs in the back with the big ring in front (accidentally, as this is a bad gear choice), you will need the ability to take up the extra chain slack from using all of you gear combos, plus the suspension travel. I think mid length cage designs are really for bikes with only 2 or less rings up front, but I could be wrong.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    Long cage is what comes on the bike. Unless you know you will never use the 34 and 30 tooth cogs in the back with the big ring in front (accidentally, as this is a bad gear choice), you will need the ability to take up the extra chain slack from using all of you gear combos, plus the suspension travel. I think mid length cage designs are really for bikes with only 2 or less rings up front, but I could be wrong.
    Yeh the Trance comes stock using the "long cage" version derailers, but admitidly I'd like to try a medium cage and see how it goes. I just changed to a 11-32t LX cassette (11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32) and I've shortened up my chain so that when I'm in big-ring/24 the derailers is pretty stretched out, but could go into maybe the 28 cog. When it's on the 21 cog it's just forward of vertical, it's an experiment and we shall see how it goes - trying to stop the chain slap that's very prevelent on the Trance and think that this chain length will help and still be enough to use all the "good" gear combos and let the suspension do it's thing. If not I have spare links and pins and will lengthen it up another complete link to where it was. If it does work I think it will tell me that a medium cage derailer should work fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0