A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008

Which is the best deal?

Hello everyone! I'm looking into getting my first FS and I've found some pretty top deals on 06/07 trances. Which one is the best value for money considering the changes I'm going to make:

Option 1: 2006 Trance 4
    Option 2: 2006 Trance 4 Disc
    Option 3: 2007 Trance 3

I plan on making the following changes:

• Upgrade the forks to something with 120mm adjustable travel and selling the OE forks.
    • Upgrading the brakes to Juicy 3s with 203mm/160mm rotors (trance 3 is good for this as it already has J3s so I only have to swap out the front rotor for a 203mm which I already own) If I got the trance 4 disc I'd have to swap out to 203/203mm J3s (taken from previous bike) straight away as I really don't like Hayes brakes, but if I got the regular T4 I'd be quite happy to use the Vs for as long as necessary.
    • Upgrading the wheels to Mavic Crossride discs when the stock ones go south. Obviously this will mean I have to stop using Vs if I still am at that time.
    • Finally, over time I will replace the drivetrain with Sram X.7 parts, but this is not a priority.

Sorry if this is confusing! Anyone able to tell me which bike I'd be best off getting? Ask me if I can tell you anything more that'll help you help me.

Thanks.

mtbr member

Questions

How big are you and what kind of riding are you interested in? I'd be inclined toward the Trance 3. I know it's more money, but would it make sense to save up a little and go for a 2008 model? Giant shaved a significant amount of weight off of the '08's compared to earlier models. In the case of the Reign, I think it was well over a pound. And, the components on the '08's, I believe, have been upgraded as well. Have you ridden a Reign?
    Man...I love spending other people's money!
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    5'11" and about 70kg/155lbs with my riding gear on. I don't ride anything I couldn't do on a hardtail a bit slower. 4.2" of travel is plenty for me, given what I ride and how I ride. Frame weight is almost a non-issue, it's only 7.2lbs I think. Wheels, tyres and front end components will make the most difference to me. The only difference between the '07 and '08 T3 is the external bearing crankset and as regular BBs work just fine it's not something I see as a deal swinger.

I've not ridden a Reign as it's totally overkill for what I do. Ideally I'd like to keep this build as cheap as possible. If I can find forks for the right price, I can have a good rideable machine for less than 6-700.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't really see the choice... the Trance 3 costs the least, and even comes with a decent (but heavy) fork. Maybe I'm missing something else in the components.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd vote Trance 3 also. My wife has an 06 Trance (women-specific) with those Hayes brakes, and although she likes them, they feel a little underpowered to me. Might as well go with the Juicies to start with. Also, my guess is it'll be a little easier to sell the Tora fork than the Axel.

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbirds
    I don't really see the choice... the Trance 3 costs the least, and even comes with a decent (but heavy) fork. Maybe I'm missing something else in the components.
    You must be.. the T3 is the most expensive, you must have been reading the "Our Price" rather than the "Special Offer" price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Whoops, my bad.

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Heh no problem mate, the T3 does make most senseand the more people say it the more I see it. I reckon that's the one to go for if I do decide on FS over a hefty built long travel HT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

consider frame weight

"If there's any way you can hold out for a slightly used or shop demo 08 trance I'd do it.

You say "only 7.2lbs" for the old frames, but the new frames are 5.5lbs. Thats a HUGE difference. You'd almost have to look HARD to find a late model 4" travel bike that has a frame weight of 7.2lbs. 5.5-6lbs frame weight is much more the standard for frames in the 4" up to even 6" category.
    Upgrading to lightweight/higher performing components and putting em on a 7.2lbs frame is like putting a pig in a prom dress.

And consider that at your fairly low body weight, taking weight off by choosing the right frame makes a significantly larger difference in improving your power to total weight ratio than, say, a 200lbs dude looking to buy a lighter frame.

I've noticed this with my 125lbs gfriend, she races expert and notices minor bike/rotational weight savings much more than my 180lbs heft.

But again, if you're looking for a bargain and know your priorities, you don't have to care about weight and power ratios. thats just the racer nerd in me coming out. But the trail rider in me does truly believe that lighter bikes (for a given application) are more fun!

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    I would wait, but shops here in England don't mark stuff down by much. I might get 50 off a display bike and maybe 100-150 off a rideable shop bike. More off a demo bike but they're few and far between and I'd have to wait an age to get one.

I was looking at an ex-demo SC Heckler before I decided my style suited multi-link set ups more. Bearing in mind that an off the peg Heckler is 2000 with X.9 kit and equally high spec other parts, the shop was asking 1400 for it with Pike 426 coils and Deore kit AND it was very heavily used. Major rip if you ask me.

Members who have read this thread: 0