Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Because people never can think for themsevles

997 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  69erSycip 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to get a 2010 Reign 1 and a Yeti 575 for about the same price (within 50 bucks of each other). The both are stock build (the yeti is the enduro build). I have ridden both of the aforementioned bikes and enjoy to ride them fairly equally. With this in mind, what are your past experiences with these companies, these rides, and these setups? I currently only ride a hardtail and as it is a GIANT as well, which is why I might lean more toward the Reign currently.

#5 ·
I love both bikes. I rode the Yeti not long ago after a friend bought it. And i must say its bad ass. It didn't feel like id be able to spend a good long ride and still be comfortable on it tho. I could be wrong since i only rode it for about 15 minutes. But that was my 1st impression. I wouldnt mind having both :D

#6 ·
I considered a yeti 575 at one point, but they are sized differently than giant. I need a 24" effective top tube, & yeti's (same as santa cruze) are 1/2" size in between. No fit for me.
However, having owned my reign for a couple years I wouldn't choose anything else.

#7 ·
I have both. Been riding a 2008 575 for a couple of years and recently picked up a 2008 Reign to keep at my parents house so I have something to ride on visits. I started looking for a replacement of the 575 for a couple of reasons including needing more travel and no carbon anywhere on the bike. Already been through 1 rear triangle and my riding partner has been through 2. The carbon on the rear triangles do not react well to rock strikes and that is about 90% of what we ride here in AZ. Started thinking that the Reign may be a perfect replacement for the 575, but after many rides on the same trails that is just not the case. In my opinion the 575 outperforms the reign in all areas hands down, except the stiffness of the rear end and semi-flat trail riding. It easily out climbs the reign, especially in steep tech stuff, and then feels much plusher flying down most any type of trail. I do however like the reign better for doing urban assault riding and simple XC stuff. So I am still looking for a replacement for the 575, but the reign is not it for me. Just my personal impression.

#8 ·
istvisinet said:
I have both. Been riding a 2008 575 for a couple of years and recently picked up a 2008 Reign to keep at my parents house so I have something to ride on visits. I started looking for a replacement of the 575 for a couple of reasons including needing more travel and no carbon anywhere on the bike. Already been through 1 rear triangle and my riding partner has been through 2. The carbon on the rear triangles do not react well to rock strikes and that is about 90% of what we ride here in AZ. Started thinking that the Reign may be a perfect replacement for the 575, but after many rides on the same trails that is just not the case. In my opinion the 575 outperforms the reign in all areas hands down, except the stiffness of the rear end and semi-flat trail riding. It easily out climbs the reign, especially in steep tech stuff, and then feels much plusher flying down most any type of trail. I do however like the reign better for doing urban assault riding and simple XC stuff. So I am still looking for a replacement for the 575, but the reign is not it for me. Just my personal impression.
My kind of post. Well said. The Reign has had design improvements since 2008 but not the 575, especially when it comes to tire clearance and using less carbon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.