mtbr member
    Nov 2009

bash guard for a 2011 trance x3?

on a ride today, i realized i didn't use my large ring up front as usual. i've probably only used it once or twice since owning the bike (4 months, about a dozen rides.) is it possible to remove my large chainring and replace it with a bash ring?

i'm thinking i can do a bash ring, but a 2x chain guide would be a difficult option because of no iscg tabs and a press fit bottom bracket.

if i can do the bashring, i'm guessing go with a 32t, because that is the size of my middle ring? or am i supposed to go 42t, because that's the size of the large ring? thanks for helpin out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes I use this. 2008 Trance X2 with an XT crank. You will need spacers with your chainring bolts and you just have to turn the high limit screw on your FD to prevent the over shift.

Salsa Cycles | Components

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the exact same bike, and was in the exact same place as you. I replaced my large ring with a bash ring from BBG. I seriously reccomend them. They are strong, inexpensive and made in Oregon. I really cannot say enough great things about BBG. The ring bolted right on using the factory bolts. Get the 32t one. Another benefit on running a 2 ring setup is that it allows you to shorten your chain, reducing slap and noise when the going gets rough.

mtbr member
    Cool idea. Any pics?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'll take some and post as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhuffman View Post
    I have the exact same bike, and was in the exact same place as you. I replaced my large ring with a bash ring from BBG. I seriously reccomend them. They are strong, inexpensive and made in Oregon. I really cannot say enough great things about BBG. The ring bolted right on using the factory bolts. Get the 32t one. Another benefit on running a 2 ring setup is that it allows you to shorten your chain, reducing slap and noise when the going gets rough.
    thanks man, BBG was actually the company i was looking at. a nice, blue, cross drilled version. 32t sounds good, thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I cant get the pics loaded. Sorry

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ordered myself a bashring from BBG. the 32t, blue, crossdrilled one. i'll post some pics when it arrives.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xycarp View Post
    Cool idea. Any pics?
    Lots

mtbr member
    I've been using my large ring as a bashguard for 2 seasons now, lol. The teeth are all but missing on about 1/5 of the ring. Somehow, it still shifts onto the large ring beautifully. It also pedals great with absolutely no skipping or slipping of the chain. I don't use the big ring often but it's there when I need it. I was thinking of getting a bashguard for it a while back but am glad I didn't. I'm not dissing the bashguard, just throwing it out there that, once in a while, my beat up large chainring comes in handy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I got the BBG and love it so much i talked my buddy into getting one
    my 3rd ring was missing a few teeth but the rest were just sharpened on rocks so instead of poking me they were slicing me which really sucked