Thread: BAD LBS News..

Reviewer/Tester

BAD LBS News..

I took my VT-2 back to the shop for its free service yesterday. Whilst I was in the shop, I asked about the new '05 models, and when they would be available in the shop.

The news wasn't good...

One of the employees told me that they wouldn't be carrying the Giant brand next year. I was pretty shocked, and asked why it was so..

He told me that Giant are going to "downgrade" their models to compete with the cheaper chain stores, which meant that the quality would suffer, because Giant wouldn't be using top of the line components anymore on their bikes.. lower costs equal lower quality.

Well, he assured me that they [the LBS] would take care of my VT-2 should anything go wrong with it...but I wasnt to damn happy about the news.

I have to look further into all this, and I will keep everyone updated if I can find out more about it, but so far it doesn't look too good.

I am not happy.

R.

bi-winning

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I took my VT-2 back to the shop for its free service yesterday. Whilst I was in the shop, I asked about the new '05 models, and when they would be available in the shop.

The news wasn't good...

One of the employees told me that they wouldn't be carrying the Giant brand next year. I was pretty shocked, and asked why it was so..

He told me that Giant are going to "downgrade" their models to compete with the cheaper chain stores, which meant that the quality would suffer, because Giant wouldn't be using top of the line components anymore on their bikes.. lower costs equal lower quality.

Well, he assured me that they [the LBS] would take care of my VT-2 should anything go wrong with it...but I wasnt to damn happy about the news.

I have to look further into all this, and I will keep everyone updated if I can find out more about it, but so far it doesn't look too good.

I am not happy.

R.
    sounds like bogus to me. just does not seem like a logical thing to do. They are already on the econo side compared to many brands like SC and Yetti. They are getting a lot of support it seems, especially for the VT's.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    At face value, this sounds like a bogus claim. Giant already competes across the spectrum of pricepoints, and their high end stuff sells well.

I call BS and say your shop either dropped Giant or got dropped by Giant and your shop is now in the very natural position to talk smack or "spin" the story in their favor to as make the remaining brands they carry seem more appealing.

Just a hunch, of course; I'd be interested to hear from J@G.

Reviewer/Tester
    Picked up my VT-2, and got to talk to another mechanic in the shop today.. same story from him too..

I still don't know the truth in this whole thing, but I need to find out if possible. I guess that Giant *may* say differently, to protect their business, but if they are going to down-spec their models, it isn't too good for us, the end-users.

I'll also have to try and find out who the new Giant dealer in Sydney will be...if there is one

If anyone can shed more light on this whole dealio, go right ahead..

R.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Hmmm... considering the NRS3 is pretty much a Deore spec and the NRS Air is pretty much an XTR spec, and considering the Giant Ranier is one of the value leaders of the "trail ready" hardtails, I don't know how they'd find room to downspec. Please keep us informed if you hear anything further. I know the Oz spec can somewhat different than the North American spec'd bikes, but I'm nevertheless curious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    At face value, this sounds like a bogus claim. Giant already competes across the spectrum of pricepoints, and their high end stuff sells well.

I call BS and say your shop either dropped Giant or got dropped by Giant and your shop is now in the very natural position to talk smack or "spin" the story in their favor to as make the remaining brands they carry seem more appealing.

Just a hunch, of course; I'd be interested to hear from J@G.
    Well, I had a nice, long reply typed out, and of course that was when our internet server chose to crash. So, here's the truncated version.
    I can't speak for what's happening Down Under, but I this is the first I've heard of anything along those lines. It's not going to happen. Giant sells bikes from the $200 price point, on up to our $5,000 TCR Team, which we sell out of every year. Giant will continue to only sell our bikes through Professional Cycling Retailers, no big-box chain stores, your local bike shop is, and will continue to be, the only place to buy a Giant bicycle.
    Downgrading? Far from it. From our brand new TCR Advanced that Team T-Mobile is riding in the tour (www.magentareign.com for more info) to a bunch of new high-end mountain bikes, we're going to have the best lineup I've seen in a while.
    Feel free to post any follow-up questions...

Thanks,

J@G

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    oooooops

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, I would venture to say that James has the definitive answer here. I probably can't add anything. I will just say that I mentioned this post to the guys at my LBS and they chuckled. Their thought was that Giant normally releases their lower end stuff first and the higher end stuff follows. Maybe the LBS down under saw some info on the lower end stuff and thought it was all there was to see? Not sure, just a thought. I do have to say that I got my VT3 last week and it is awesome. The guys at my LBS are awesome and they are big Giant supporters. They sell A LOT of Giant bikes and they have a very good relationship with their rep. They have assured me that there is LOTS more great stuff coming from Giant in 2005.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max99
    Well, I would venture to say that James has the definitive answer here. I probably can't add anything. I will just say that I mentioned this post to the guys at my LBS and they chuckled. Their thought was that Giant normally releases their lower end stuff first and the higher end stuff follows. Maybe the LBS down under saw some info on the lower end stuff and thought it was all there was to see? Not sure, just a thought. I do have to say that I got my VT3 last week and it is awesome. The guys at my LBS are awesome and they are big Giant supporters. They sell A LOT of Giant bikes and they have a very good relationship with their rep. They have assured me that there is LOTS more great stuff coming from Giant in 2005.
    Bingo. We launched our recreational MTB, entry-level OCR Road series, as well as our full Comfort and Cruiser lines back in February, when it makes sense to. Our higher-end stuff, the really cool stuff, will all be introduced at the Interbike show this fall. That's when the higher-end components usually come out, so it makes sense to launch that lineup at that time. Plus a lot of us bike connoisseurs tend to get their new stuff over the winter, to be ready for the first day of riding season.
    Nail on the head as far as the new stuff goes too, wait'll you see!

Thanks,
    J@G

Reviewer/Tester

Thanks James..

You have made me feel much better..

It may just be that this particular LBS has decided, for whatever reason, to stop selling Giant, and this is the excuse that they have come up with to cover it.

On the other hand, I will also make up my own mind as to whether Giant has made improvements in the top-end range of bikes when I see the new 05 model releases in the winter. But I hope that you are correct about the new models.

Now, all I need to know is : Who will be the new Giant dealer outlet in Sydney for next season?

Thanks for dropping in and clearing things up a bit..

R.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    You have made me feel much better..

It may just be that this particular LBS has decided, for whatever reason, to stop selling Giant, and this is the excuse that they have come up with to cover it.

On the other hand, I will also make up my own mind as to whether Giant has made improvements in the top-end range of bikes when I see the new 05 model releases in the winter. But I hope that you are correct about the new models.

Now, all I need to know is : Who will be the new Giant dealer outlet in Sydney for next season?

Thanks for dropping in and clearing things up a bit..

R.
    That may be the case. I invite you to totally make up your own mind when you see the new stuff.
    As for the dealer in Sydney, I would have no way of knowing. I work for Giant USA, you should contact the friendly folks at Giant Austrailia, whose contact info can be found on the Aussie site: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/000...00.000.000.asp
    Thanks!
    James@Giant

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Who told you that?! LOL!
    I have seen some Giant 2005 including the resurected NRS3 and the new XTC3, all look possibly better kitted then before! One big differnece is the Sram drivetrains! Sweet!
    Yes, the higher level bikes will only be available in around october or later.
    For someone who sells giant, theres some on the north shore(not sure about the west), heres St Ives(SIC) and also Northside which are both great stores, Northside usually has a very very large range of bikes, but I have always found SIC to just have the better service and prices.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

shhh...4X....

Altus level components, RST forks, Araya VP20 rims, yeah, all the other dealers in my area should drop them too!

bi-winning

Dropping Giant

Don't know why an LBS would do that. In Niagara Falls Canada we currently have like 2 dedicated bike shops, and somehow they both carry Giant. Didn't think that was allowed. We'll see what next year holds. They make great bikes in every price range. Can't wait to see what will be out for 2005.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

dammit

guess my dream of buying a TCR at Waldomart for $399 will have to wait yet another year...